March 28, 2024, 05:48:05 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Calibre and Nexus 7  (Read 8618 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Calibre and Nexus 7
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:44:01 AM »
Another thread mentioned not being able to get Calibre working, but here's a link from the Calibre site with info that might help:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#how-do-i-use-app-with-my-android-phone-tablet

How do I use calibre with my Android phone/tablet?
There are two ways that you can connect your Android device to calibre. Using a USB cable– or wirelessly, over the air. The USB cable method only works if your Android device can act as a USB disk, that means in windows it must have a drive letter, like K:. Some devices may have a setting to put them in “disk mode” or “USB Transfer mode” that is needed before they act as USB disks.

I'll test this out when the N7 arrives, but I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who already has their N7 and uses Calibre.  Also don't forget to post what version of Calibre you're using and on what OS. 

Thanks --

Sam

Offline newtoandroid

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Calibre and Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
I have upgraded caliber to the latest version. It does not see N7.  I'm on windows 7. When I connect N7 with USB. It comes up as a portable device and not as a lettered hard drive. Still I am unable to get the books I have on my PC to it. I tried both mobile and epub formats.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
Looks like it's been added as a bug/enhancement, so support will probably come soon if there's just no way to get it working:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1019394

I'll do some testing with this when my N7 arrives later this week since getting this working is very important to me.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
I still haven't tested Calibre with my N7 yet, but I think the problem is due to Jellybean not support UMS (USB Mass Storage).. it only supports MTP and PTP.  These are more at the software layer then hardware layer, so it's not giving you direct access to the file system, but instead it uses the MTP protocol to share content with you -- kind of like the difference between mounting a file system directly or using FTP to see the files on a file system.

I hadn't heard of either MTP or PTP until getting my N7, but this is a disappointment to say the least.  I was able to get the file system mounted on my Linux system [post here], but I've not tested this with Calibre yet to see if it's enough to make it happy.  Also Calibre does not support MTP nor do they plan on supporting it [source] so hopefully we can find a good middle ground so the N7 works with it more seamlessly.

Offline taming

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
You also have the ability to run Calibre server and either download your books from the browser and add them to the reader of your choice or using an older version of Aldiko reader and setting the Calibre Server up as a catalog. The new versions of Aldiko Premium and Aldiko free do NOT have the capacity to create catalogs on 7 inch tablets. Aldiko recommends you download an earlier edition until this is solved.

For more information from the developer, and the download link, see:
https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/21240258-why-i-cannot-access-menu-on-my-7-inch-tablet

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
taming,

Thanks for the info on Aldiko... I've been looking for a good eBook app for the N7 that's independent from Kindle, B&N, Google, etc since I do have a fair number of public domain and free eBooks and docs that I'd like to put on my N7.  Also I'll check the earlier versions and watch the support site to see when the N7 is fully supported.

Offline taming

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
You can also set Overdrive up as a catalog in Aldiko (using the older version) and read your library books on it if you don't want to read them in the Overdrive app.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman