March 28, 2024, 12:54:19 PM

collapse

Author Topic: udate error  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Jimaz

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
udate error
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »
I finally got the KitKat update this morning. When it rebooted the nexus 7 it started the install. A few seconds in It said error..This what it said the error is.

System/bin/app_process has unexpected error.

I did a factory reset..I got the OTA again and I got the same message as above into the install

I hope there's a fix for this problem

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: udate error
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
This error is pointing to a discrepancy on the system apps binary directory. Have you uninstalled any system apps or converted user apps to system apps? This will undoubtedly cause an error with an OTA. Are you rooted? Custom recovery?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
Your app_process apparently has been modified, probably by some app. If you do a factory reset, run the OTA, before installing any apps or if you are rooted get a copy of app_process from someone on 4.3 for your tablet. Keep us posted.

Edit: Apparently loociddreemr and I are thinking similarly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:23:22 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Jimaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »
I tried what you said and still no luck. I get the same error message. I am rooted, but I can't seem to unroot it. I have tried nexus root kit, and I get an error message there that says ADB device drivers  is not installed. I have done that, I think. I'll try whatever to get this going right.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:26:03 AM »
A factory reset doesn't touch the system partition. That's actually a trick I used to use. If you make user apps system apps, they will be there after a factory reset.

No need to unroot necessarily. Install the full factory image in recovery. Shouldn't give you a problem. Anyone have a link to the image.zip?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
+loociddreemr Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the system partition untouched only if you are rooted? Also if you are not rooted and using the stock recovery can you explain the difference in performing a factory reset from the Nexus 7's device settings versus from the stock recovery? I have read conflicting information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:21 AM »
As far as I'm aware factory reset in a custom recovery just wipes data, cache and Dalvik cache, not media (internal storage) but if factory reset is preformed from within the device the whole device is wiped even the media... That's my  understanding??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
+loociddreemr Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the system partition untouched only if you are rooted? Also if you are not rooted and using the stock recovery can you explain the difference in performing a factory reset from the Nexus 7's device settings versus from the stock recovery? I have read conflicting information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Even without root, the device has no reason to assume that anything on the system partition has been changed, hence no "real" action is taken on that partition. Data from system apps will be removed, such as user accounts, preferences, and settings. This information isn't actually stored in the system partition but in sdcard/android/data or /data/data. The use of emulated directories within these folders allows the simultaneous clearing of both system and user settings. However, the .apk will remain unchanged. If a system app was disabled, a factory reset will clear that condition as a "setting" restoring the app. Deleted apps will not come back regardless.

Now depending on the ROM, a factory reset from the menu options in the ROM itself will vary depending on OEM. Media downloaded from Google play will be lost since it's stored in the /data/data. Pictures from the camera are typically not deleted unless the "format sdcard" option is used.

Offline Jimaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
I took it back, and Best Buy replaced it.  All is well now. Thanks for all your help

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
I took it back, and Best Buy replaced it.  All is well now. Thanks for all your help
how long after you purchased it did they replace it? Did you have one of their warranties?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman