March 28, 2024, 02:20:38 PM

collapse

Author Topic: KitKat Startup  (Read 1313 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
KitKat Startup
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Just installed KitKat and noticed that startup (cold boot) seems much longer that with 4.3.  With wifi "off" Here is what I'm seeing:
From side-button press to moving circles -- 15 sec
From circles to icons on screen -- another 15 sec
From icons on screen until notifications appear -- another 15 sec
From notifications until (daily calendar) widget app data -- another 15 sec

So about a minute start-up until I'm fully operational.  What's your experience with this?

Of course this doesn't happen often since most of the time my N7 is sleeping or awake.  Ever since KK my mag-cover works reliably with or without wifi enabled.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: KitKat Startup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Did you happen to see one of the latest N7 Drips??  An article from Drippler was saying that KitKat is slower on both the N7 2012 and 2013 video, with the 2013 being the most noticeable.  I got the OTA update but it didn't work for my device.  Maybe because I'm rooted, I'm not sure... it just didn't stick.  I've been fooling around, with no success, trying to side load KitKat but now after reading that drip I'm thinking of just sticking with 4.3.  I see now that I have another up-date waiting for me to install but I think I may pass for a while and see if maybe Goo comes out with an up-date to the up-date.

radio
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:10:56 AM by radiocycle »
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
I think there's a file in /cache that will tell you the install error. If it's debuggerred, that may have been altered by stick mount, etc. You can chase down all the update errors and install the correct files, or do a backup and flash the factory image. Side loading the update may be giving the same system check errors. There's also a no wipe method if you're rooted.

I wonder if the benchmark or video apps used in that testing were fully updated and optimized for kit Kat.

Start up does seem slower, but I'm preferring fewer force closes and better touch screen response. Not perfect yet, but that's unattainable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »
I'm only guessing again, but I've noticed a lot more free ram with 4.4 making me suspect JB had a video buffer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts