March 28, 2024, 04:01:08 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Display questions  (Read 2958 times)

Offline AlexBell

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Display questions
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:46:22 AM »
I'm making some progress up the steep learning curve, but have some questions related to the display.

- When I go back to the centre home screen I see My Library, with the covers of some of the books I have read and music I have listened to. I think this looks ugly; I'd much rather have a clean screen with the apps and widgets only. How do I turn the My Library display off?

- Every now and then, for no reason I can see, a little window pops up and asks me if I want new wallpaper, and gives me options. I don't want new wallpaper - at least not until I know what I'm doing. How do I stop this happening?

- On the first screen after I swipe left there are some RECOMMENDED FOR YOU icons. I don't want them, and don't want them to take up screen space. How do I get rid of them, and stop  new ones coming back?

- One of the  widgets I use the most gave me a fright today by disappearing off the home screen. I found it again by pressing the circle with dots in it and saw the widget on the apps and widgets screen. How do I get it back to the home screen? Pressing on it opens it, and trying to slide it while pressing it just copied it to the screen to the right of the home screen. I don't want it there either. Can I delete it and still keep the copy on the Apps and widget screen?

As you can see I have a long way to go, so expect more questions. Is there a good dead tree book I can read to help me blunder around less? I have Chris Herley's 'Google Nexus 7' no fluff guide, but it may be a bit too advanced for me.

Regards, Alex

Offline rasmith1959

• View Profile
Re: Display questions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:53 AM »
I'm making some progress up the steep learning curve, but have some questions related to the display.

- When I go back to the centre home screen I see My Library, with the covers of some of the books I have read and music I have listened to. I think this looks ugly; I'd much rather have a clean screen with the apps and widgets only. How do I turn the My Library display off?

- Every now and then, for no reason I can see, a little window pops up and asks me if I want new wallpaper, and gives me options. I don't want new wallpaper - at least not until I know what I'm doing. How do I stop this happening?

- On the first screen after I swipe left there are some RECOMMENDED FOR YOU icons. I don't want them, and don't want them to take up screen space. How do I get rid of them, and stop  new ones coming back?

- One of the  widgets I use the most gave me a fright today by disappearing off the home screen. I found it again by pressing the circle with dots in it and saw the widget on the apps and widgets screen. How do I get it back to the home screen? Pressing on it opens it, and trying to slide it while pressing it just copied it to the screen to the right of the home screen. I don't want it there either. Can I delete it and still keep the copy on the Apps and widget screen?

As you can see I have a long way to go, so expect more questions. Is there a good dead tree book I can read to help me blunder around less? I have Chris Herley's 'Google Nexus 7' no fluff guide, but it may be a bit too advanced for me.

Regards, Alex

OK those are widgets and can be removed from your home screen by doing a long tap, then dragging it over to the x on the side in landscape mode, or on the top in portrait mode. The thing to keep in mind is to tap on it and do not lift your finger until after you've dragged it over to the x. This applies to both the "My Library" and "Recommended For You" widgets.

The choose wallpaper thing is normal when you do a long tap on a blank part of the home screen. You can dismiss it by tapping anywhere outside of the window.

Moving widgets to another screen is easy, just tap on it and hold your finger there till you see the x appear on top or the side. Then just slide your finger to the edge of the screen in the direction you want to go. You should see that edge turn blue and it will start scrolling through your home screens. When you get to the screen you want, just slide your finger off of the edge, then just slide it to where you want to p!ace the widget and lift your finger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »
+rasmith1959 Great reply, thanks for your contribution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline AlexBell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:00:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm becoming aware it's important to learn how to touch or touch and press and drag in _exactly_ the right way. I'm slowly getting there.

I still haven't been able to move My Library off the Home screen, but at least I've been able to make it occupy a smaller area, and it doesn't look so ugly.

I don't think you mentioned how to stop getting the prompts to buy things similar to what I bought. This is blatant advertising. How do I stop these ads from coming? And how do I get rid of those which have already arrived?

Offline georoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
I also would like to move "my library" off my screen.

Offline Crigger540

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
As Rasmith1959 advised

"OK those are widgets and can be removed from your home screen by doing a long tap, then dragging it over to the x on the side in landscape mode, or on the top in portrait mode. The thing to keep in mind is to tap on it and do not lift your finger until after you've dragged it over to the x."

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
There are probably some YouTube  videos you can watch that will show some of this... removal is easy as mentioned about the long tap on an icon...

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
vgifelix made a pretty good tutorial on resizing widgets to fit your screen.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Hold your finger on whatever you want to delete and slide it to the bin/X in the left corner.

Sent from my Nexus 7

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts