March 28, 2024, 09:50:02 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Feature Spotlight: The Nexus 7 Tablet And USB OTG (On-The-Go)  (Read 13549 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

One of the cool features of the Nexus 7 that isn't fully explored in the included documentation is USB OTG or 'On-The-Go' and the ability to use a USB OTG adapter.  Now an OTG adapter is basically a female micro-USB connector  that plugs into the micro-USB connector of your Nexus 7 and provides a full-sized USB 2.0 or 3.0 connector on the other end.  You can then plug this into a 'hub' which can provide multiple USB connectors so you can hook up multiple different USB devices to use with your tablet.  Even better these connections are actually powered by your Nexus 7 so you don't need separate power for each device connected making it perfect for mobile use.

Now the variety of devices that will work with your Nexus 7 and a USB OTG cable and/or hub is actually pretty impressive and includes keyboards, mice,  game controllers, USB-to-ethernet adapters and certain proprietary devices like a DSLR Remote control Android app.  What doesn't work with the Nexus 7 without a little work however are mass storage devices such as USB sticks, card readers or external hard drives of any sort.   This can be rectified however by installing the app 'StickMount' which we've linked below although keep in mind this does require root access to your device.

Once your device is rooted and 'StickMount' is installed you can use USB drives and card readers to easily move large files to and from your Nexus 7.   You'll want to use a file management and explorer app like ES File Explorer to find and select your files.   You can stream movies and music directly from the USB mounted drive to your Nexus 7 so in essence it becomes a mobile hard drive that you can take with you and your Nexus 7 anywhere.  For those interested in exploring this functionality you can pick up one of a variety of Nexus 7 Compatible USB OTG Adapters On Amazon and we've also linked two 'how to' sources below,  CNET's 'How To' section and a video made by tech guru 'Reverand Kyle'.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:23:51 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Spotlight: The Nexus 7 Tablet And USB OTG (On-The-Go)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »
If you root, does it take you off the official update path or no?  If not, i'll consider rooting this afternoon. 
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
We will have the step by step rooting guide up by tomorrow morning.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
We will have the step by step rooting guide up by tomorrow morning.

Please tell me that you are going to feature a one-click root tool.  Some, including me, do not trust ourselves to type out the correct line by line code. 

And please find out if Root takes you off the official update path.  On most cell phones, it does not, so im guessing that is the case here. 

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
Yes the tool is a GUI tool that runs under Windows, one click to unlock the bootloader and one additional click to root.

GUI = Graphical User Interface

Offline Granvillen

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
The statement that the Nexus 7 will not work with external drives is false.  The Kingston WI drive works fine w/o rooting.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
I was referring to drives attached through the micro-usb...not a specialty device with Wi-Fi like the Wi-drive.  Yes, those will work.  Thanks for pointing it out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:00:42 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »
Again, im a noob at "computer programming" but it looks like there is something called OTA update keeper and OTA root keeper. 

These sound helpful in keeping the official OTA update path and also keeping your device rooted AFTER updates.  However, this is a NEXUS device afterall, so i Highly doubt Google would ever try to "patch" a root with an OTA update. 

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Thanks for pointing out OTA RootKeeper. It is referenced in the guide and will be explained in more detail in a dedicated topic.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman