March 28, 2024, 01:46:47 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Tablet won't update....from 4.2.1!!!!  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Qdotsmom

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Tablet won't update....from 4.2.1!!!!
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
Where do I start I have so many issues with my first generation Nexus 7 that it's going to be my last Android purchase.....
1st... I posted here in the Jelly bean thread because my tablet has never updated from the original OS out the box....I'm always prompted that 4.2.2 is downloaded and ready for installation. When I try to install it, the android bot shows up with the red triangle coming out of his tummy..It's safe to assume the update didn't work because when I check the version, it's still at 4.2.1. Coming from iOs that is basically plug and play this is proving frustrating :(. My tablet isn't rooted and I only have basic apps games FB netflix etc.... Ive turned off google services framework just to get rid of the update prompts..I literally get about 5-6 prompts an HOUR!!
2nd...charging issues...I know this is the wrong thread but I have to vent. I can leave my tablet plugged into a wall for 12 hours and still not get any juice!! This morning I plugged it out for my son to play with it and it died on me, I even got the scrambled signal screen. I am using an aftermarket cable since my ex won't return the stock one to me. I've googled a solution and all I see is to get my hands on the stock charger..... >:( I've never had this issue with my iPhone 4 and charging it with aftermarket products. What an utter disappointment..

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet won't update....from 4.2.1!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Is it possible that the update is not working because the tablet is not charged and has inadequate maintenance voltage even when plugged in? The tablet should charge with aftermarket chargers, just not as fast. I would suspect the usb cord is faulty, even my stock cord is intermittent at times when bent near the plug end.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
You really need the stock charger or an equivalent. Don't give up on the Nexus because your ex is being  b**ch

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
Having a hard time reading.. Sorry

Sent from my Nexus 7

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
Your charging issues with after market chargers and usb cables are rectified by finding one that is compatible, which is no fault of the device and resides with the inability of access through your former relationship (been there done that). Compatible chargers and cables exist, as I am using them, so that problem can be resolved. As for the Android with the red triangle, your device is not recognizing the fastboot command, so at that point you press volume up + power to proceed with the update. I have the same issue with my Nexus 10, and I assure you updates are achievable. I honestly understand your need for venting. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:43:52 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:30 PM »
OK. I read it by changing from black to white.  First off, sorry for your problems.  Bringing up that Mac doesn't have problems is a bit extreme and really irrelevant. As far as your ex,  that's a separate issue. Buy an Asus cable and charger. Sounds like you know a little bit about Android by knowing about Framework but that is not the solution. Probably more harm than good. I might have missed it above with the purple text but did you try a factory reset?
Giving up on Android because of an issue like this sounds extreme.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Offline Qdotsmom

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
Hey everyone,
Thanks for answering back...Matt I never thought about juice being an issue when trying to update. I guess that falls into the category of finding a proper charger. I have an Asus wall outlet/USB plug but I'm not sure if its the one For my tablet or my ex.'s phone...does it matter? I had to buy an aftermarket USB cable and that's where my problem is.....has anyone tried the dock? does it plug directly into the wall? I've read about the micro usb port eventually coming loose over time....maybe the dock would be a better solution...I'll try the volume button trick once I get a full charge.
So my next question is, how do I get the latest OS? Thanks for the help!!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
Once you are fully charged and have a functional USB cable, here is your guide to installing the OTA.

http://nexus7forum.com/nexus-7-android-os-(jelly-bean)/guide-to-installing-ota-4-2-2-with-root-and-without-root/msg15814/#msg15814

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
The dock uses the same charger and USB cord, not included. The USB port on the n7 is pretty rugged compared to other tabs. The charger should work if it is the USB type, fastest charge with a 2 amp output, should be marked.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts