March 29, 2024, 12:08:48 AM

collapse

Author Topic: roots fine but when i switch off it 'unroots'  (Read 1995 times)

Offline prezaeis

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
roots fine but when i switch off it 'unroots'
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:55:22 AM »
Hi guys

Im new here so hello :)

I have a Asus Nexux 7 4.3 and I followed the instructions on the following page to root the device:

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to/easily-root-your-nexus-7-tablet-running-android-4-3-jelly-bean-mac-guide-0148193/

The root method works fine but every time i switch the device off and then back on i have to root it again as it seems it unroots itself?? Anyone have any ideas as to why or how to solve this issue? I rooted the device because i need to use a USB stick with the device and the software that allow this only work on a rooted device.

Also I read that rooting will wipe the device clean? Mine was never wiped, everything stayed intact when i rooted. Maybe this is why?

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:01:07 AM by prezaeis »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: roots fine but when i switch off it 'unroots'
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:38 AM »
Rooting does not wipe the device. Unlocking does. You need to unlock first. Have you done that? I would use Primes guide to Rooting with either Wugfresh or Skippen and you should be fine. Sorry, I am very pressed for time and don't have the link at the moment. It is in the Rooting index. Best of luck. Turning your device off should have nothing to do with losing root.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: roots fine but when i switch off it 'unroots'
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:02 AM »
I am at a disadvantage when rooting from a Mac, but my first question is, "On reboot, is the lock open or closed, after rooting?" Barry is correct, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your tablet. The only time that you should lose root is after an OTA update, but that will not relock the bootloader. My guide in our forum is for Windows based toolkits, so if your toolkit is not actually unlocking the bootloader, you may want to look at some of the other options in your link to unlock the bootloader or try to root on a friend's Windows based pc. Keep us posted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:51:49 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman