April 18, 2024, 04:22:11 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Are we seeing a Windows tablet market shift, generated by Android pressure?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Are we seeing a market shift or is Microsoft preparing for a new model of the Surface tablet, with the current $300 off promotion for the "Surface Pro"?

As you can see from the following promotion, Microsoft is offering a sizable $300 discount on the Surface Pro. Certainly their first venture into the retail market has proven unsuccessful, but I question, if they are feeling the pressure of the lower priced Android market, or if they are preparing a new model, or if they are abandoning retail sales and leaving that market to the hardware suppliers, or some combination of the three. Personally the $599 buy in point is still too high, in my opinion. What are your thoughts?

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Personally, I kind of think we're in the waning days of Microsoft being able to sell their operating system for a hefty license fee like they have for years.  One of the under-reported but to me, most interesting developments of the recent Consumer Electronics Show was the introduction of a number of Android Desktops.   Now before you poo poo this just think that we're going to very soon be seeing 64bit intel chips running Android and that 64bit allows for increased memory access and thus the ability to run more complex programs.   

Is the day far off before we're seeing photoshop and MS Office caliber apps available on our Android tablets/desktops?   I think it's inevitable frankly.   It's going to take some time...especially in enterprise corporate situations where security is a factor, but I can see 5 years from now most of us doing our work on Android and perhaps Chrome based machines.  In fact I think the typical worker won't even need a Windows desktop anymore.  You'll probably have one or two Windows workstations in an office for those really heavy duty programs that need it.  For everyone else Android might be all we need to do our jobs. 

Now what might happen is as Android starts encroaching on enterprise computing Microsoft is forced to do away with their fee structure in order to stay price competitive with Linux based OSes like Android.   They might still make money from Office and support services.   I think they'll sort of morph into an IBM like services model with Windows being less and less of their profit.   
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Agree with some of what you say, especially with MS charging hundreds of dollars for their OS. I run Linux (Ubuntu) at home in conjunction with Windows but I still find Linux has some more maturity to go before the masses accept it, probably the same goes for Chrome OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts