March 29, 2024, 12:41:12 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How do I setup for kids exclusively  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Ravenseed

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How do I setup for kids exclusively
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum just to find out how to setup a Nexus 7 (2012 running 4.4.2) for my 8 year old daughter.

I am having great difficulty and have now spent 3 weeks trying to restrict it down the way i want to, but it is so complicated and I have searched and searched but I cannot see anything that explains it the way I hope to set it up.

Is there a guide here on how to set it up in a way that allows her to use it but for things that are only suitable for an 8 yr old girl.  I do not want her surfing the web and stumbling across unsuitable things.  She also has Netflix on it, and she has a profile setup for kids but she can easily change it to my profile and watch horror films for example...not good.

When initially setting it up I setup a google account in her name...I think that is the wrong way to go about it, in hind-site, but not sure.  if I have to set it up with my details as admin, then I will setup a whole new account just for me and her mum to use to monitor and authorise her usage etc..  her mum and I are not together so when she is with her mum I do not want her mum looking at my account.

Its a complete mind-field, and I do not see any decent step by step guides on this, although I am sure there must be plenty out there.

If anyone can help me, that would be great because right now I only let her use it in front of me..  I want to allow her to take it to bed with her to read stories, or watch Netflix or even surf the web but with the knowledge that she cannot view anything inappropriate....and also that nobody can try and contact her or groom her.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.  I am fairly computer literate, but Android has me stumped right now so a step by step guide would be great..

Thanks in advance!
Dan.

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How do I setup for kids exclusively
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
I personally wouldn't give it to an eight year old for use without adult supervision. Just me but I always had my kids computers in a public area in the house and they were never in their rooms.

Good luck with your hunt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
I guess I would set up separate user accounts. Also there's a program called applock to set a password for restricted apps. And video and photo directories.

sent from me n7 using tappitytalk 4

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:57:58 AM »
Check out two apps, first called Funamo and secondly Funamo Safe Browser.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=funamo.funamo

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=funamo.browser

Alternatively you could set the tablet up with you as the primary user and your daughter as a named user with restricted access.

I love my Nexus 7 FHD but I bought the Kurio 7s for each of my daughters, a decent tablet, cheaper than the Nexus 7 and with a whole host of parental safe guards.

Let us know how you get on...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:22:45 AM by JayJ »

Offline Snake_Doc

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:09 AM »
No advice on setup for kids but wanted to share a video player that has a screen lock feature.  This prevents unintentional screen touches. Mx Player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts