March 28, 2024, 12:09:25 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 randomly shutting down  (Read 3509 times)

Offline mcf57

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 randomly shutting down
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I have a 2012 Nexus 7 (32gb) that seems to be shutting down randomly. At first, I thought it was its Blurex magnetic case. I eliminated the case, but it still randomly shuts down. In ALL cases, getting it to turn back on requires connecting its charger. Sometimes the battery symbol comes back within 5 seconds. Sometimes it requires me to hold the power button down for at least 15secs.

I upgraded it from Android 4.3 (Jelly bean) to 4.4 (KitKat) and still have the same problem. I even did a factory reset; cleared and wiped it all out. Same thing. In order to get any real functionality out of it, I have to totally shut it down after EVERY use.

Is there ANY solution to this problem or is this a sign that the tablet is failing & some sort of hardware problem? I have had it just over a year (of course this would happen AFTER the warranty) and its already been serviced once (under warranty) so if it is failing again, then I will soon be looking elsewhere for a tablet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:53:16 PM by mcf57 »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 randomly shutting down
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
You did not mention if the tablet shuts down while connected to the charger. If shut down does not happen when charging I would look for a battery problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:15:21 AM »
Yea,I don't believe it shuts down at all during charging and charges fine. At least I don't remember it doing this, but will have to double check this. If it is indeed a battery problem, I take it this is not something I can easily fix, correct? (assuming since the unit seems totally enclosed & no battery cover or access to battery compartment)

Also, not sure if this matters & I just thought of these, but this problem will occur at ANY charge level of the battery too. 100%, 50%, 23%, etc.  It doesn't matter how full or empty the battery is, it will still randomly shut down if I leave it on. And it seems it will ONLY happen when after it goes to sleep. it never shuts down while I am in the middle of using it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:29:18 AM by mcf57 »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
The back cover does snap off exposing the battery, which is attached with double sided tape  connected with a wire lead to the terminal. There are tutorials available on the internet and if you are not timid, it is not that difficult. The key is to determine if it is the battery before investing in a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:04:48 AM »
Check for an intermittent connection, a rapid cooling when turning off the screen may be exposing the fault. Just a guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
Well, it has officially seem to TOTALLY die. ABout 3 weeks after the warranty ended too. Figures.  Not even plugging it in will revive it in any way. It could be the battery, but at this point, the bottom line is it looks like I am totally done with the Nexus brand of tablets and moving on to something else (probably an iPad).

If was fun while it lasted & nice knowing you.... R.I.P.....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:48:07 AM by mcf57 »

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
Good news about this tablet in question. I called Asus directly and since it was serviced for a similar problem less than 90 days (I gave them the previous RMA number), they agreed to fix it again at no cost to me. I sent it in and then got it back. Now its working 100% again & I was glad to see some good customer service by a company when it can be rare these days, but I also tend to wonder for how long this tablet will continue to work properly.

Just passing this along to others in case you are in a similar situation.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:13:04 AM by mcf57 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts