March 28, 2024, 04:23:15 PM

collapse

Author Topic: facebook won't open and other apps have stopped  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Cathy

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
facebook won't open and other apps have stopped
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
Have been using my Nexus happily for over a year, but suddenly having problems. When I go to open facebook, the blue screen comes up, but after a short thinking time it just closes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app with no improvement. Also, starting at the same time there is the issue that message keep coming up that youtube 'has stopped' as well as linkedin (even when not doing anything related to these apps). Yes, I have rebooted, but it hasn't helped.

Emails and other apps work fine.

Can anyone help?  thanks Cathy

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: facebook won't open and other apps have stopped
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
Cathy, go to settings, tap Apps, scroll to Facebook and tap to open, then tap clear data and clear cache and confirm. Then do the same for YouTube. Then test both apps and see if that corrects your issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:24:21 AM »
Thanks S.Prime.  Can't wait to try this, but now I am having trouble turning it on... I know about holding down the on button for 45 seconds, but all that is happening this time is that the google sign comes up, and then the coloured quarters keep turning forever without opening up the tablet. Can tablets get viruses? Is there another reboot secret?
Any help appreciated.  It has worked so well up until now (about a year).
Cathy

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
Cathy, it sounds as though you are in what is termed a bootloop. If you are not rooted the fixes that I have seen would result in your loss of all the data on your device. There are several things that you can try, but the most straight forward is to use Mark Skippen's toolkit or either WugFresh's. First you need to establish if you have your data backed up and you want to take the straight forward approach. If any of our other members have had success with recovering from a bootloop on a non-rooted Nexus, feel free to jump in. My Nexus 10 bootloops every time I have an OTA, but since I am rooted I just root it again with one of the toolkits and I am fixed.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:36:25 PM by S.Prime »

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Thanks for persevering with my problem. I don't have any data in the device, it is all in cloudland. That is the good news. I have downloaded Mark's toolkit, but can't do the next step of going to settings on my Nexus because it won't go to the homescreen so I can change the settings as recommended. Those coloured balls just keep spinning around. I left it overnight and they were still spinning in the morning.

I have tried all the options on the bootloader screen (version 4.2). Start just gets me the spinning balls; Recovery just gets me an exclamation mark and a dead robot (with nowhere to go).

Any wisdom appreciated.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
I am going from memory at the moment, but you will need to select the option in Mark's toolkit to load the stock rom and stock recovery. Sorry for few details but I am not at a computer. Make sure that you select the option to load the drivers for your Nexus from the toolkit as the first step. If you are unsuccessful, the steps for recovery with a bootlooped Nexus may be a little clearer in WugFresh's toolkit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:43:59 PM by S.Prime »

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »
The dead robot is recovery. To see the recovery menu, hold power and press volume up. From this menu you can factory reset or wipe cache etc. The toolkits will use fastboot commands, which work in recovery without needing to enable adb debug, I believe.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »
To get to recovery, hold power until the tablet reboots then hold volume up as well. For the fastboot mode, hold volume down instead. From fastboot menu you can choose recovery menu. The toolkits will expect fastboot mode and will query fastboot devices to check the drivers and USB cable are correct. Then fastboot OEM unlock, which will wipe the device for security reasons before allowing fastboot flash for a new ROM.
You might try the factory reset from recovery first.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »
OK, this is the 2012 nexus, the up button to recovery isn't working for me like on the 2013, but down to fastboot is.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:21:02 AM »
The dead robot is recovery. To see the recovery menu, hold power and press volume up. From this menu you can factory reset or wipe cache etc. The toolkits will use fastboot commands, which work in recovery without needing to enable adb debug, I believe.

Matt is correct the factory recovery in the toolkits use fastboot commands, so don't worry about enabling adb debugging. A factory reset from the stock recovery, as Matt said, is an option worth trying, but I have rarely seen success with it. If you use one of the toolkits and opt for the OEM stock restoration and it fails, usually the Nexus is not responding to the fastboot command that starts recovery, so you will have to access recovery using the volume keys and then run the toolkit OEM stock restoration with your tablet at the recovery screen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:40:31 AM by S.Prime »

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:25 AM »
A factory reset just wipes the user data partition, if that is where the memory error occurs it can work. If the fault is in system partition, a ROM flash is needed. The new ROM flash should wipe and format all partitions checking for bad memory locations. Nand chips are not infallible.
The bootloops from ota are usually on a custom recovery, part of the ota can be a new boot loader which is written to a special memory location and during reboot is updated by the stock recovery but not cwm or twrp.

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
Having failed to even get into recovery mode (when I press power and volume it just tries unsuccessfully to start), I realise I have reached the end of my comprehension ability. So my next step is to print out your advice and take it back to the shop under warranty - let them fix it or give me a new one.

I have been overwhelmed by the time, patience and thought that you guys have taken over my problem. Cooking is my forte, not hacking! If you ever have a complicated recipe you can't decipher, please let me know.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
Oops, warranty should have been first suggestion. Extended?

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:18:23 AM »
Just scraped in under the 1 year, so I've left it with them to fix - along with a copy of your instructions! Fingers crossed...

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:13 AM »
If I remember correctly, the Nexus 7 2012, had an issue, on some tablets entering recovery using the volume and power button combination, but it was achievable by the fastboot command. We did miss the warranty option though. :-)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman