March 28, 2024, 07:39:58 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Want it mostly for texting - will it?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline mgrmgr

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Want it mostly for texting - will it?
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »
I'm housebound and so don't have or need a cell phone...but I would like to send and receive texts the way I see friends doing on their cell phones.  I also want to be able to do web browsing for easy info/research without turning on my heavy duty graphics computer.  I have WiFi and am hoping the Nexus 7 can use it to do both texting and browsing without a cell account.

If I need extra software to do texting, what is best?

Also, I notice there seems to be more than one version of Nexus 7 (Google and ASUS???).  If so, which one?  I have a Gmail acct if that matters.

Someone who knows nuttin about Android or tablets.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Want it mostly for texting - will it?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm housebound and so don't have or need a cell phone...but I would like to send and receive texts the way I see friends doing on their cell phones.  I also want to be able to do web browsing for easy info/research without turning on my heavy duty graphics computer.  I have WiFi and am hoping the Nexus 7 can use it to do both texting and browsing without a cell account.

If I need extra software to do texting, what is best?

Also, I notice there seems to be more than one version of Nexus 7 (Google and ASUS???).  If so, which one?  I have a Gmail acct if that matters.

Someone who knows nuttin about Android or tablets.

Although I don't text from my tablet(s), it can be done.  There are several texting apps you can download from the Play Store.  I've heard good things about Mighty Text.

The only problem I've had with doing research on a tablet is I'll often have several tabs active at the same time.  They are a lot easier to manipulate on a desktop.

ASUS is the Nexus 7 manufacturer under the Google brand.  There are two versions: 2012 and 2013.  There will probably be a Nexus 8 on the market in the next month or so.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline Dedendi

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Want it mostly for texting - will it?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »
Can not believe that people would learn about this, just as I have.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman