April 19, 2024, 03:50:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: need to turn off the auto wake feature  (Read 2156 times)

Offline mrpaul1984

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
need to turn off the auto wake feature
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Hi everyone. I have a 2013 2nd gen, the case that i use seems to sometimes keep the screen on while its in the case. i'm assuming this is the magnetic on/off feature as there is a magnet in the case. it doesnt always happen, but sometimes when i come to use it from the case, the battery is completely dead. I check the battery usage and it shows the screen has been on since it was put in the case.  i turn the screen off manually with the actual button before i put it in the case, but the case seems to turn it back on sometimes, and keep it on.   Does anyone know if there is a way to completely disable the magent auto on/off feature?  I'm quite happy using the physical button for all my screen on off needs.

thanks in advance for your help

Paul

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: need to turn off the auto wake feature
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I have seen the magnet in cases, put the tablet to sleep when folded to the back, but I have not seen it keep one awake. As a test why not try removing the case or fold it open, to verify that the issue originates from the case magnet? What I have experienced though is that a poor WiFi signal will cause the tablet to turn on and continually search for a WiFi connection killing the battery. Also having the screen set to auto brightness can turn on the screen due to background processes and kill the battery. I would try to isolate the source of the battery depletion.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline mrpaul1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
I've kept the tablet out of the case for a few days now, and battery is functioning as it should. Only loses a couple of percent when left for 9 or 10 hours while I'm at work. Also, the tablet is kept at home when the in-case problem has occurred, and there is always a strong WiFi signal. Plus I have the 'WiFi on during sleep' mode set to 'never'. This creates a double whammy on the battery because when the case keeps the screen awake, it therefore prevents it from sleeping and so keeps the WiFi on as well.   The case itself is probably an unusual one. The magnet in the case isn't designed to trip the auto wake feature, as the case is a pouch style, and the magnets only designed function is to keep it secure when the case is folded up to be used as a stand.    With regards to auto brightness, I generally have this turned off, but I have had the case problem with auto brightness left on and off.       I was hoping I could just turn off the feature of the device that recognises the magnet.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
Another case, or surgery to remove magnet, or to place a better magnet in the right position. Haven't seen a software switch.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »
Perhaps you should contact the pouch case manufacturer and see if they have had reports of the same issue with other owners. One of the cases was replaced by the manufacturer when the original model had shut off issues due to the magnet strength.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline mrpaul1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
I'll have a look at surgery I think. Thanks for your help everyone

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime