2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Android OS (Jelly Bean)

Towelroot

<< < (2/4) > >>

matt:
I believe the linux exploit exists even on the current 4.4.3 build. It may be patched next update.

This means root and unlock may be achieved at app level, without a PC.

And possibly a script could be run to boot into a custom recovery without flashing it. To backup and restore nandroid.

Can android be weaned away from it's PC dependence?

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

birdastrompgman:
I'm purposely not unlocking the bootloader and not loading SuperSU or Superuser yet, because people who do those things aren't afraid to root their devices.

My Towelrooted N7 can't see my OTG-connected USB flash drive, because Stickmount uses SuperSU, which I haven't installed.

Yes, Towelroot really opens the door to a huge variety of good and bad options. It's exposed such a glaring weakness, Google is going to have to patch it ASAP!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

matt:
Hmm, I've had a number of cheap Chinese tablets that root explorer can mount system RW. Rootchecker just seems to look for superuser or supersu and busybox. I wonder if rooting and installing supersu would prevent the exploit from working.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

birdastrompgman:
I attempted to install a boatload of apps requiring root access, and almost all of them wouldn't run because either SuperSU, Superuser, or Busybox were missing.  I tried installing Superuser, and it gave no error messages, but every Busybox installation I tried failed.  I couldn't push the SU or busybox binaries because of my locked bootloader.  Bascs like Titanium backup and AL Mass Storage Manager wouldn't run.

So, essentially, Towelroot isn't a viable alternative to traditional rooting.  Its importance lies in its exposing Android's vulnerablities.

matt:
I've had issues with SuperSU not updating binaries. There is a beta build that supposedly works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version