March 18, 2024, 10:59:05 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Really Dead Nexus 7  (Read 11522 times)

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Really Dead Nexus 7
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
Sorry to be of so little help. I don't expect these tablets to last much longer than the warranty period, when they do, I've come out ahead. An extended warranty may be worth exploring in your next purchase.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code

Offline Rabbit

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 04:48:42 AM »
Jim,
Yeah, I may have been a bit harsh and too unkind to the whales.   ;-)
The "7" was great while it was working.  Guess I've just been spoiled by great service from any number of vendors and manufacturers.  I may mellow with time, but at the moment the options of a $200 repair bill or buying a new machine every 18 months don't seem acceptable.
I do sure appreciate all of the time, expertise and kindness that Forum members have shown me though.  Who knows, I may be back?   :D :

Offline Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
I still don't have a tablet, but I do have a plan.  Techies at BestBuy checked battery and declared it DEAD, though they suspect maybe something more.  Have ordered a new ASUS battery for $50. from an outfit that will give full refund, no restocking fee, if it doesn't solve the problem.  Plan B. is to pick-up a new Gen. 1 Nexus 7 for $170.00.   Makes more sense than ASUS offer of $100 to $200 (plus?) to repair.  Either way I guess I'll be giving the "7" another chance and ask forgiveness of both the whales and the loyal followers of the Nexus 7.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
Did you ever check if it's seen as an APX device?  Connect it to one of your PC's rear USB 2.0 ports, and look at it in the Devices and Printers portion of Control Panel.  Power it on and off. If it's APX, a $50 motherboard will fix it.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
Didn't realize motherboards were only $50.   If battery doesn't do it, I'll try that.  Hadn't, only because I lacked the usb/usb cable to (wait a minute, light just came on.  )  For some reason I let the OTG cable connector get in the way.
Will check that out NOW, and get back to you. 
Thanks for sticking with me.
Rob :D

Offline Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
"No cigar."
Not recognized.
Have to wait and see if the new battery does anything.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
32 GB motherboards are frequently found for $50 used on eBay.  Beats the *&^% out of Asus' $215 estimated repair cost. 
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 07:24:39 AM »
End of story.  Tried new battery.  Still nothing.  Screen Surgeons giving full refund on the $50. I shelled out for the battery.  Another $50. for a used mother board that might or might not fix the problem would have brought me up to $100 plus.  Best Buy had a new 2013 version for $160.
Brought that one home.  Thanks all for the advice and attempts to help me solve the problem.  Let me know if you're interested in making me an offer on a "parts Nexus 7".  Battery was definitely toast.  Beyond that, I have no idea why it doesn't work.
Rob

Offline nerisdale

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »
I found a 2.1 amp charger and the original cable solved the problem one day, and plugging it into my PC USB port to waken it up before charging with a charger solved it another day.
The Nexus 7 battery runs down even after "shutdown" much faster than my iPad which is annoying, and the "Totally dead Nexus" problem makes relying on it problematic.
If used regularly and charged regularly it is a great machine, but Apple's much better connector and battery make it more reliable as far as I am concerned.

Offline ramordep

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
Same thing happened to me few days ago. I tried almost all of the suggestion but still no dice. Mine lasted a year amd half only.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
Dead battery revival per Asus. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2865196
[Q] Nexus 7 (2012) refuses to power on after battery drain and subsequent charging

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk

Offline Sahir_Siddiqui

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 01:30:19 AM »
I also have a dead Nexus7 that won't charge and now won't start up. Luckily in warranty.

Singapore authorized service dealer micro2000 took 9 days to repair as they didn't have parts in stock and needed to order from asus.  I found all they replaced was the battery and wonder why an authorized service dealer wouldn't have such a common part in stock.

Anyway, the story doesn't end there. They returned it to me after 9 days with a new battery and 100% charge.

Unfortunately, the problem I took it in for wasn't resolved and within a day, I was back with a Nexus that doesn't charge and now won't start up.

It's back at the same authorized service dealer who assured me they will return it in 5 days if they have the part in stock. It's now 6 days. 

The device is great  - I swear by the nexus 7. Unfortunate, the support is terrible.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman