March 28, 2024, 10:07:17 AM

collapse

Author Topic: The Nexus 9 Will You Make the Switch?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
The Nexus 9 Will You Make the Switch?
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
We now know that the WiFi 16 GB Nexus 9 will cost $399 and the 32 GB will cost $479, with the LTE version running even more. This does create a bit of sticker shock compared to the Nexus 7, but the Nexus 9 does have some impressive hardware. Considering that the Nexus 4, 5, 7, and 10 appear to be getting Android L are you ready to make the switch to the Nexus 9? Let the forum hear your opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Nexus 9 Will You Make the Switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
Since I started the post, I will share my opinion first. I will not be pre-ordering the Nexus 9, simply because with the higher pricing of the Nexus 9, I am not ready to abandon my quite adequate Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10. Rather, I will wait and test drive Android L on both devices and see if I can keep my desire for a new technology toy in check.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
I find myself using my tablet(s) less and less.  My main device is now the Samsung Note II.  I'll be taking a close look at the Nexus 6.  If I do get another tablet, I doubt it will be nine inches.  When I carry my tablet, I like to stick it in my cargo pocket.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
I'm in the market for a new phone and will be deciding between the Nexus 6, Note 4 and LG G3.  As for the Nexus 9, I want to wait to see it in person.  I do like the keyboard case accessory and am interested to see how Android Lollipop handles multitasking and the 4:3 screen ratio of the Nexus 9.  I've found myself doing more and more work on my Nexus 7 and a Nexus 9 with bigger screen and good keyboard could persuade me to pick one up.  Let's see some of the reviews first.  I'm also curious as to if/how many app developers tweak their software for the 4:3 resolution display to take full advantage of it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:38:48 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
My wife want's me to pick her up a N9.  We still use our N7's but she feels that her battery doesn't hold a charge and thinks that the hardware is getting dated and laggy.  I'm still happy with my 7.  I used the Android L developer preview for a while and think that switching to ART will bring some life back into the N7 fleet when Lollipop drops.

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
The specs on the N9 are intriguing, to be sure -- but at $479 (plus 8.75% tax) plus a case and screen protector, we're now talking around $550 total, at a minimum. I'd love the speed and resolution, but I'm not ready to pay that price, considering that I'm actually using my 2012 N7 less now than I had months earlier.

Which brings me to a follow-up question: What are your thoughts on picking up a new 2013 N7 to replace the older 2012 N7? My old N7 is pretty much stripped down (no launcher app, no icon packs, no widgets, etc.) and even after 4.4.4 and a system reset it's still laggy as all hell. But it hung in there for two solid years. A new N7 will be getting the "L" update as well and it has more ram and storage (plus the 2 cameras) than the older N7.

- martyh

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
@ martyh,  I find myself using my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10 less and less, giving way to my new LG G3, as my reach for device even in a sit on the couch situation. My much loved Nexus devices, are simply losing ground, to the speed and convenience of the G3, so with the Nexus 9 arriving with a premium sticker price, I am electing to stay with my current solid Nexus devices for the near future.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
I won't be buying a Nexus 9, as the price is too high, even if it is a high-spec tablet.

Instead, I have just purchased a HUDL2 tablet from UK retailer, Tesco ( http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl2-8-wi-fi-tablet/454-7907.prd).

It's an 8.3" screen, with 2Gb ram, an an Intel Atom Quad-Core processor running at 1.83Ghz. It only costs £129, but with vouchers, I got it for £55!

I use it every day, although I still use my Nexus 5.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:40:37 PM by CBers »

Offline limbot

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
Seems I'm going the opposite way to most people here.

If I want "big screen "  I still have my Lenovo Thinkpad  Tablet (still got yours SPrime ?) Heavy and slow in comparison but still gets the job done. 

Was looking at new larger screen,  faster processor phones (I have an s3) while holidaying in Malaysia recently but decided that the Nexus 7 does most  of my "heavy lifting ". My phone is pretty much just a phone these days.

7" Nexus is still perfect compromise between size,  weight and performance for me atm  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:45:34 PM by limbot »

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
@ limbot yes, I retain my first loves, the HTC Flyer and the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, but honestly, they sit in my office desk drawer, replaced by my new loves, the Nexus 7,  2012 and 2013 and the Nexus 10 variant. Thanks for reminding me, as I type a response on my Nexus 10, that I could have done the same on my ThinkPad Tablet. Ironically, my new LG G3 is rapidly eclipsing my, non-sitting on the couch device of choice, for my reach to device, so I am balking, at the moment, on the Nexus 9. Also, thanks, for reminding me that my S3 was only replaced by the LG G3, because of my technology appetite, but I can always justify it with the slightly larger screen and faster processor. I am fast realizing, from personal use,  that tablets are becoming a convince or special use device, in our ever increasing mobile world and before I am blasted by our forum, I am not falling out of love with our Nexus tablet, I am simply realizing that it has relinquished ground to the larger screened phones in reach to usage.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:52:33 PM by S.Prime »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman