April 23, 2024, 02:23:27 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Poor performance streaming video  (Read 2343 times)

Offline rozen

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Poor performance streaming video
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
I have an original 6 GB Nexus 7 and I am disappointed with its performance which shows up two ways (1) I can't stream Amazon Prime movies, and (2) it is very sluggish while for several minutes after awakening. I am running Android 4.4.4.

1. I usually can't stream Amazon Prime movies.  I generally get the message that my network connection is too slow.  My network download speed regularly measures in access of 20 Mbps and I have no problem with my Roku stick.

2. When the Nexus 7 resume from sleep state it is very slow for several minutes after which it seems more responsive to gestures but still not good. 

I speculate that there are a number of background processes that are thrashing to make sure things are up to date thereby robbing resources from the foreground process.  I have wiped the Cache partition and have 1.86 GB of storage available and 386 MB RAM.  I have a vision of Google Mail, Google+, Google Keep, Google Play, and who knows what other Google apps all fighting to be sure that I can instantly access up-to-date data.  Possibly, DropBox, Chrome, Firefox, NYTimes, and Flipboard are also constantly sync-ing as well.  Is there any way of checking my suspicions?  Is there any way of telling the various app to give me a break and sync when I actually open them?

I would really like to correct this problem; it would really make the Nexus more satisfactory.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks, In Advance
Don

Offline REMilk

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Poor performance streaming video
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
 :(  I, too, was having problems similar to these and also there were times when there was a terrible lag. I have had my NEXUS 7 (2012) since Christmas Day 2012.  It was pretty full of apps and music only 2 GB remained.  I deleted music and some apps getting me about 8 GB available.  No improvement. 

Last Saturday, November 8, 2014, I took the drastic approach and performed a "Factory Refresh." This wiped out all apps and accounts and restored to a factory image.  The image was restored to 4.4.4, which is the most current version (Yea).

I added my accounts back and slowly added back the apps I used most.  My NEXUS 7 (2012) was responding just like it was new!  I have since added many of the apps that my grandsons like to use.  I now have 6 GB free and my NEXUS 7 still acts like it did when new.   :D

BTW:  I have had to do a "Factory Refresh" and reload every Android smartphone about once a year.  I just refreshed my Windows 7 laptop with program installation.  After these refreshes, the devices run just like new.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman