March 29, 2024, 02:59:30 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Chrome browser  (Read 2743 times)

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Chrome browser
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
When setting up my Nexus 7, the screen filled up with a message saying that Chrome for Android does not support Flash but the Chrome Browser is available for download.  I don't understand a word of this.  Can somebody explain the difference between "Chrome for Android" and "Chrome Browser" on the Nexus?  How/why would I download the Chrome Browser?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome browser
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
As far as I know it's the same thing.  They're just using different terms.   Chrome is the name of the browser and you're running the Android operating system on your Nexus 7 so of course it refers to it as 'Chrome for Android'. 

As far as flash is concerned...Chrome, like many of the newer browsers is focused on html5 which is the new web standard for video so they don't support Flash.   But, if you need or want flash to watch certain videos on the internet that are still using it (and there are many) then it is possible to install Flash on your Nexus 7 but it requires you to do what is called 'sideloading' it.   You might then also want to install another browser that supports flash...like an older version of Dolphin or FireFox so you can watch flash videos or play flash games.   

I won't go into the details of doing that now...as it exists elsewhere on the forum and it might not be important to you.  In a nutshell what you should know is that the entire internet is moving towards HTML5 compliance for their videos which is why all the newest versions of the browsers like Chrome support it.   They are trying to hasten the change over to html5 from flash because many believe that flash is an older/battery wasting/bug prone technology and html5 is more streamlined and more stable.   As time goes on more and more video on the web will be html5 and less and less flash.  Right now since it seems you're a bit new to Android I wouldn't be too concerned with all that.   Chrome should be fine for most of your web browsing uses so go ahead and use it.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline DaveS

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
I agree, that instruction is hard to figure. I DO know that Chrome for the desktop has its own version of Flash built in, but I don't see how one could install that on the Android platform.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
The Google Play version of Adobe flash is not compatible with JellyBean,  Adobe announced that the updated Flash for ICS would be the last support for the Android OS.
However as BFM said there is a modded version of Adobe flash available that can be sideloaded onto our N7's, it's easy to do and can be done without the need for root access.
I use a 3rd party browser called xScope and upon installation and application launch you are prompted to download and sideload the modded version of the flash player.

Easy as pie.

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »
The Google Play version of Adobe flash is not compatible with JellyBean,  Adobe announced that the updated Flash for ICS would be the last support for the Android OS.
However as BFM said there is a modded version of Adobe flash available that can be sideloaded onto our N7's, it's easy to do and can be done without the need for root access.
I use a 3rd party browser called xScope and upon installation and application launch you are prompted to download and sideload the modded version of the flash player.

Easy as pie.

OK, that's a new term for me. What does it mean to "sideload?" Thanks in advance!
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »
You will have to go to settings / applications and enable unknown sources, then download xscope and it will prompt you to download the modified flash apk, that you can run. Look for a tutorial tomorrow using "JayJ's flash install without root."
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline DaveS

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »

Easy as pie.

OK, that's a new term for me. What does it mean to "sideload?" Thanks in advance!
Just means loaded from an 'unofficial' site rather than from Google Play.

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:02:16 AM »
Thanks.
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229