2013 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (2nd Generation, Nexus 7 FHD, Nexus 7.2) > New Nexus 7 Connect (MicroUSB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, Slim Port) (2nd Gen)

Help! Wired Internet Connection using Ethernet to micro USB...

(1/3) > >>

pymason:
Dear Nexus Community, I am here because I have run out of ideas for connecting my daughter's Nexus 7 (2nd Gen, running Android 6.1 Marshmallow, not jail broken) to the internet.
For various reasons we need a wired rather than wifi connection. Previously we have managed to get it working using an Ethernet cable from the Router, joined to a Female Ethernet to Micro USB adaptor, straight into the Nexus 7 (We were using Android 5.1 at this time, but it also ceased to work whilst using 5.1).

Seemed to work well for a while but the adaptors don't last long in a young person's (ok, my daughters), hands. I bought a new adaptor recently, and since then, haven't been able to access internet on the Nexus. Did the latest adaptor arrive damaged? I don't know, but it shows it's red light upon being connected, and I am under the understanding that this means the adaptor is showing some sort of network link. I have been into the Nexus and checked no obvious lack of connection/damage/wear with the microUSB housing. All is solid there.

I wonder if some kind genius might walk me through the set up for the Nexus to access a wired internet connection, just incase I have missed something obvious, and/or point me in the direction of any tools to analyse where the problem might be located.

Many thanks to anyone who can help on this one! I have a passing knowledge of Android, but probably miss as much as I have found.
Regards,  pymason :-)

matt:
Out of curiosity, have you tried Daisy chaining a cheap router with wifi access point to the Ethernet of the first router? Seems cumbersome to stay tethered.

pymason:
Hi Matt. Thanks for answering, but I'm afraid the problem isn't a lack of wifi. It's that we don't want to use it in our situation! This is why I'm looking for a wired solution. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on how to achieve a wired internet connection on the Nexus 7 using Marshmallow? Answers gratefully received! Thanks. Paul :-)

matt:
Not much on xda., outdated. Otg cable? Or http://plugable.com/2015/01/22/new-plugable-usb-fast-ethernet-adapter-brings-wired-ethernet-directly-to-your-tablets-microusb-port

pymason:
Hi Matt. Thanks again for your reply. Unless there's an upgrade in tech in the item in the link you provided, I already have been using a USB 2.0 to fast Ethernet Adaptor, albeit a slightly cheaper one. In the past this has either worked as soon as you plug it in, or after some adjustment of Airplane Mode, USB Debugging Mode, and on 6.1, the possibility of choosing which kind of use the USB port will have (last two live in Developer options, which you have to have activated).

Anyone know a way to check /analyse if it's all working correctly?
Anyone know the correct settings to use for 6.1 to access wired Ethernet internet via the USB port?
Many thanks for any help.
Best wishes,

Paul M :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version