April 19, 2024, 09:13:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0  (Read 12635 times)

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
I returned a tab 2 7.0 so that I could pre-order the Nexus! I also have the Galaxy Nexus phone and I flashed jelly bean on it. I must say that jelly bean is unbelievably awesome! I could care less about taking a photo with a tablet. I'm ok with no sd card because I had a defective one burn up a phone once. Back up to Google drive for storage and you won't ever lose your stuff! And with a display as close to retina as you can get and you have one heck of a deal!

Offline Hawkmoon

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
tbh what this device makes me want most, is it's second generation iteration, as silly as that might sound - for all that they may address from the initial reactions.

i understand the microsd card slot absence, especially since they want to move to the cloud - but without 3g/4g, we can only access this data when we have wifi, correct?

one thing is for certain - i won't be interested in the kindle fire 2, no matter if it has a removable sd card and rear facing camera - i have no interest in the skin the kindle uses over the os

You just teather it to your phone you don't need two phone contracts to pay, my wife uses her Transformer Prime this way and it is fine, people talk about data cost but they will be the same for a tab as a phone and the speed is not a big issue unless you are streaming. Also I think teathering is the way to go you only need one G3/4 device to which all your Wifi devices can connect. Oh and if you got with one of the genuine unlimited packages that allow you to teather then there really is not issue.

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
My carrier charges $50 a month for tethering.  If that is not feasible, you can download your files (when you have wifi) for use later.  I know there is map cache on Google maps for a 10 mile area ((if for some reason your GPS doesn't work) and Google music offers offline use.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:14:34 AM by Drew »
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
  I know there is map cache on Google maps for a 10 mile area...

I am hoping for a greater area then that.  Only 10 miles makes it almost worthless.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Well, that would be only as a backup.  Your GPS will navigate you through maps.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
"  Rear camera to me is useless.  I would never be using it personally and would much rather have the superior screen and processor/GPU."

Same here, bought the 16gig so I could get all my apps off my evo4g, it's just so bogged down and I love my camera on the evolution, use it for work alot.

Actually I probably would use a rear facing camera if it had one, though it does look silly when you see people holding up ipads to record events :)  Just nice to use around the house since I'll probably have this thing with me most of the time.

Also I did order the 16 Gig version since I'm guessing the 8 Gig version won't have much room left after the OS and stock apps.  I've heard 3 -4 gig which just isn't much.

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Well, that would be only as a backup.  Your GPS will navigate you through maps.

I don't have a phone to tether to, and since the N7 is WIFI only, how does that work when I'm 20 miles from home?

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
It has GPS. So, when you don't have a wireless connection, the GPS will guide you through maps via satellite.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:34:07 PM by Drew »

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »

I am hoping for a greater area then that.  Only 10 miles makes it almost worthless.

The version of maps included with the tablet well store maps offline. I'm not sure exactly what it translates to as far as area, but I saved a map that stretches from Biddeford to Waterville Maine. That's probably just under 100 miles.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »
I'm looking at 600 mile days driving without wi-fi, before I can figuratively throw my gps nav system out the window.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Drew

• View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »

The version of maps included with the tablet well store maps offline. I'm not sure exactly what it translates to as far as area, but I saved a map that stretches from Biddeford to Waterville Maine. That's probably just under 100 miles.

I thought when I did it in Google maps, it said 10 mile area.  But it may just depend on what you have available in your cache.  There are apps for caching maps that probably offer more.

Offline tsruggles

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

I thought when I did it in Google maps, it said 10 mile area.  But it may just depend on what you have available in your cache.  There are apps for caching maps that probably offer more.

I have a jelly bean Rom on my Galaxy Nexus. I don't think any other Rom can get the features of the latest maps version. I could be wrong. I just know that when I saved the map it was about 80mb (or whatever the maximum size limit was) and it took a really really long time to download via Wi-Fi. I believe that there is a video from I/O showcasing the new feature in maps.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:38:11 PM by tsruggles »

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »
I'm guessing Google Maps' offline version contains a bare-bones database, much like the original Garmin Street Pilot gps nav system.  That skeletal database should allow me/us to drive 600 miles on major highways while identifying all the exits.  The 10 mile area data download is probably true for cities.   Areas with sparse roads, like Kanab, UT, could support a much larger area.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:55:16 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
Hey guys --

A few posts in this thread have gone off the original topic by discussing the mapping features of the Nexus 7 instead of comparing the N7 to the Galaxy Tab 2.  To avoid hijacking the thread I've created a new thread related specifically to Maps, so please move Map related discussions there.

Thanks and take care,
Sam

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=142.0

Offline Don

• Popularity: 2
  • 16GB N7 ordrd 27Jun, Andoid fan since Cupcake
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
The Galaxy 2 is the reason I decided to get a tablet.

I bought one for my wife about a month ago and have seen how much use she is getting out of it and decided to get one for myself.
She uses it mostly for playing smurf village, Facebook and gmail and not much else so I have been able to load some apps and run it through it's paces without her being bothered.
the rear-facing cam is good but a bit ackward to use and our cell cams work much better.
I loaded her Galaxy up with a 32GB class 10 microSD and to-date she has loaded absolutely nothing on it.

It has locked up a few times, i believe from having a lot open and running and once I showed her how to restart via the power button she just keeps motoring on.

my opinion is that the N7 out classes any 7" on the market,  I plan on rooting and accessing files via the microUSB port and looking forward to testing to see if the post has enough juice to access my WD 1TB drive (might be wishfull thinking :P )
~Don

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts