Personally I really love my Nexus 7. Had it 2 weeks and I am over the hump of learning Android, so I am smiling. I am a long time iPad user, I think iPad is great, but at one point having something different and less restrictive is a breath of fresh air. I feel like an animal roaming free, not a battery chicken being told when to 'pay out'.
Common points / My opinion;
- 16GB max no SD card? Them's the breaks. It's a cheap device and someone decided to implement that limit. Well documented why. I find it strangely fun trying to optimize and not put too much music and movies on the little fella. Like the old Palm days.
- No back camera? Personally I don’t need it, so don’t care. If it was as good as an iPad3 I would not use it anyway, they are rubbish.
- 7"? I am in love. iPad size is great but always felt too big to me. + the little Nexus is so light, he comes everywhere, everytime.
- Build quality? I love it. The rubber back thingy beats an iPad to hold. For the price I think the quality and spec are great.
- Accessories? Seems some quality ones are coming through, good to see I am really looking for a quality landscape dock that uses this 4 pin connector
- Android not as polished as iPad? Yes. If you ain’t that smart, I recommend the iPad (just offened 4 Billion people!). If you prefer to play, Nexus/Android is wonderful.
- Screen rotation? Ultimate Rotation is very good and actually very configurable. Nice. I can tell it to stay in portrait for the Kindle app so I can read easy laying down. Sweet.
- Widgets? I love Android widgets! They make me smile
- Sound quality from speakers? Hmmmm… lets not go there. Can hear enough to watch a movie if there is no large background noise.
- Battery life? Not sure yet to be honest. BUT.. the power control widget is great to have on the desktop to ‘teak as you go’
My Apps so far;
- ES File Explorer
- TuneIn Radio
- BBC News
- Google Finance
Summary: The fella is a whole lot of fun.