March 18, 2024, 11:04:41 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Non Google Play Store Android apps  (Read 4773 times)

Offline AndroidsRus

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Non Google Play Store Android apps
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
Can Android apps that are not in the Google Play Store be downloaded into a Nexus 7? The Kindle Fire only accepts apps from the Amazon Kindle Store and 'regular' Android apps will not load. If non Google Play apps can be downloaded into a Nexus 7, what is the procedure?

Many thanks.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Non Google Play Store Android apps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
Yes, the Nexus 7 is not 'locked'.  You can import or download any Android App you want with no restrictions as long as it's compatible with the 4.1 version of Android.  There's no special 'procedure'.  You just download the App from whatever site you buy it at or you move it to your device through the microUSB hooked up to your laptop/desktop.  Easy as pie.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:45:48 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline AndroidsRus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »
Very cool! Thank you - I think I'll buy two...........

Cheers

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:18 PM »
You will want to go to Settings then Applications and check Unknown Sources to install apps that are non-Google Play Store. Then you will be able to install apps like the Amazon App Store which will allow you to download, install, and control your licenses from the Amazon App Store. Also, Amazon offers a paid app for free every day.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Banumu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
Yes, the Nexus 7 is not 'locked'.  You can import or download any Android App you want with no restrictions as long as it's compatible with the 4.1 version of Android.  There's no special 'procedure'.  You just download the App from whatever site you buy it at or you move it to your device through the microUSB hooked up to your laptop/desktop.  Easy as pie.

If it's not locked then why are people going to root it?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »
Rooting means that you have unlocked the bootloader, which will give you r/w privileges on the partition that contains the system files. BFM was referring to the Nexus 7 not locking you to one source for apps. For example you will be able to purchase and install apps from the Amazon App Store.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
As others have said it should be possible.  I sideload Android packages to my Kindle Fire all the time since the Amazon app store lacks many of the apps I use, including all the Google apps (Gmail, G+, Maps, etc), so doing this to the N7 should be no different.

Also there are a number of ways to do it effortlessly, and I'll wrote-up a tutorial when my N7 arrives.  Honestly though I'm not sure what apps I'd need to sideload though since most if not all the apps I use are already in Google Play. 

Sam

Offline DaveS

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
I have totally successfully side loaded Flash and BBC iPlayer App. Both work just fine. Simply downloaded them, went to Download and tapped on the files.

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
Yes, the Nexus 7 is not 'locked'.  You can import or download any Android App you want with no restrictions as long as it's compatible with the 4.1 version of Android.

Yes, the Nexus 7 is not limited to a single source of apps, unlike some other Android tablets.  In regard to compatibility, once you receive your Nexus 7 and sign up with your Google Account, when you look at an app in any Chrome browser (Nexus 7 or computer) you will see a message about whether it is or is not compatible with the Nexus 7.  Even some apps on Google Play are not compatible with the N7.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman