March 28, 2024, 03:26:53 PM

collapse

Author Topic: How do I use a mouse?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
How do I use a mouse?
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
The Nexus7 guide says you can attach a mouse to the microUSB port.  Now that I have done so, I realize there is no mouse cursor (i.e., pointer) on the N7 screen, so I have no idea how I could use the mouse.  Any suggestions?
  What I want to do is control the N7 by moving and clicking the mouse.  I am not trying to control a computer using my N7, which is what all the "mouse" apps I have found will do.

Offline garryknight

• Popularity: 0
  • Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: How do I use a mouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
If you can't see the mouse pointer then you're probably not using the correct USB-OTG connector.
Garry Knight

Offline tcfjr

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
I'm using a Logitech Tablet Mouse over Bluetooth, and the standard mouse cursor appears whenever the mouse is active.

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »
Chaikenj, I'm guessing you are using a USB adapter (micro male to standard female) as I haven't seen a mouse that has a micro USB connector (though I am sure it is out there).  If so, that USB adapter needs to be OTG, like garryknight mentioned.  If it isn't it will not work with anything you connect.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:36:59 AM by Drew »
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline chaikenj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
Chaikenj, I'm guessing you are using a USB adapter (micro male to standard female) as I haven't seen a mouse that has a micro USB connector (though I am sure it is out there).  If so, that USB adapter needs to be OTG, like garryknight mentioned.  If it isn't it will not work with anything you connect.

OK, thanks Drew.  Let's see if I got this right:  If I buy the correct OTG adapter, I don't need any developer options or apps to see a cursor on the screen -- the cursor will just show up when I plug in a mouse?

Oh, now I see there is another topic on this forum about uses for the USB port -- there I find advice on what adapter I should have bought.... sigh.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:34:20 PM by chaikenj »

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:01:13 PM by Drew »
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline chaikenj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
This one will work, it's only 14 cents

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Adapter-Compatible-Google-Nexus/dp/B008MI79HO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343760935&sr=1-5&keywords=micro+usb+adapter+nexus+7

Thanks, Drew. I got the correct OTG adapter and the mouse cursor showed up as soon as I plugged in the mouse.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:41:13 PM by chaikenj »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts