March 28, 2024, 07:50:31 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How To Do A 'Factory Reset' On Your Nexus 7 Tablet  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
How To Do A 'Factory Reset' On Your Nexus 7 Tablet
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »

Sometimes you just want to start over.  There's several different scenarios I can imagine where doing a 'Factory Reset' on my Google Nexus 7 Tablet could be useful.   First most would be if I wanted to give a previously used Nexus 7 to someone else as a gift and want it to be 'factory fresh' with all the original apps and settings it came with 'out of the box' and with all of my data, downloads and files erased.  Another scenario could be if I was about to 'Root' my Nexus 7, perhaps with our Step-By-Step ROOT Guide. and wanted to start with a 'clean' device.  Yet another situation might be for those of us that like to 'start fresh', perhaps if our tablet is acting pokey or we've jammed so many downloads and fidgeted with so many settings that perhaps we're getting an error message doing certain tasks. 

Whatever the reason it's good to know that performing a 'Factory Reset' on the Nexus 7 Tablet is a pretty easy process and one I'll walk you through right here but first a word of warning.   Doing a 'Factory Reset' will erase EVERYTHING you've downloaded, saved or otherwise put on your tablet.   Now if you've purchased apps or media from the cloud (re:Google Play) you'll be able to re-download those without being charged again of course...but if you've got pictures, phone numbers, files and/or other items that you haven't backed up...do it BEFORE you perform a Factory Reset...or say goodbye to them forever. 

So you've double-checked to make sure every last picture of your dog, distant relative's phone #s and the 6 different drafts of that apology email to your significant other have been backed up to your desktop or laptop and you're ready to do a 'Factory Reset'.   It's as easy as this...

1.  Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap 'Settings'. 
2.  Select 'Backup & Reset' towards the lower half of the screen.
3.  Tap the 'Factory Data Reset' button on the next screen.
4.  Tap 'Reset Tablet' on the bottom of the following screen.

Your Nexus 7 will then restart, erase all data and then restart itself again.  It will then walk you through the setup process just as if you had first taken it out of the box.   That's it!  Your Nexus 7 will be just as fresh and zippy as it did the first time you tore that plastic wrap off.

GottaBeMobile

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline dominic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How To Do A 'Factory Reset' On Your Nexus 7 Tablet
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
If my N7 was unlocked & rooted. Will it still be unlocked & rooted AFTER the reset ?

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:29:20 AM »
In simple terms yes it will, a factory data reset will wipe all user data from the device including applications, application data, unsynced calendar events and contacts, email accounts etc.
Unfortunately on the N7 it also wipes the internal user memory (sdcard) so if you do a factory data reset make sure you back up your sdcard to your PC or cloud storage.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »
One additional caution if you are rooted, copy your nandroid backup, which is stored on our internal sd card to the cloud or to your computer, as the sd card is wiped.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

bigboss

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
If I recall correctly, the boot loader would still be 'unlocked' after a factory reset. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
Yes your bootloader and would still be unlocked after a reset, also if you installed a custom recovery it would remain as well.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman