March 28, 2024, 10:41:31 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Possible random sleep mode issue w/magnetic case  (Read 3040 times)

Offline bowersd

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Possible random sleep mode issue w/magnetic case
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
About a week ago I started using a magnetic case with my Nexus 7 (Slim Fit Leather Case by SupCase-http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-Leather-Supcase/dp/B008HDLI9Y/) and shortly thereafter, the tablet would randomly go into sleep mode when I had the front cover folded behind with the magnets now on the backside of the magnetic edge of the tablet. 

Although I can feel no magnetic attraction between the tablet and the cover magnets through the two layers of leather in this position, I have never experienced an unintentional sleep mode activation with the cover open to the left, nor did I in the week and a half I used the tablet prior to getting the case.

Although it's all circumstantial evidence at this point, I'm wondering if the magnetic latch on the tablet is so sensitive that merely having magnets in its vicinity is enough to trigger activation of the sleep mode.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, or perhaps some other evidence, I would like to hear about it.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Possible random sleep mode issue w/magnetic case
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
I remember reading when they first discovered the 'sleep' functionality with the magnets that you had to be pretty careful how big the magnets were because of this exact issue.  If the magnets are a bit too strong then if they are in a cover that is folded back to the rear of the unit it could also trigger the sleep issue.  I'm assuming the 'official' cases won't have this problem but you might want to consider gluing or taping a bit of cloth or leather over the magnet so it's just a tad weaker...so it won't trigger the sleep mode when wrapped around back.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
FWIW, I taped a magnet to a strap that holds my N7 in its case.  It works fine to put my N7 to sleep.  But I discovered I can put it to sleep simply by laying it down inside the case on the strap - the magnet is strong enough to penetrate the case.

I can place my N7 on top of the closed case and it stays on.  I find this is ideal.  I keep the case handy, and save battery life by laying the N7 inside the case.  When I want to keep it working, I place it on top of the closed case.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bowersd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »
After having posted my comments above, I revisited the Amazon product page and I see that other purchasers of this case are now posting their experiences with the same issue.  Those looking to buy a case with the magnetic close feature will have to keep this issue in mind, although I don't know how you would be able to research it other than to wait for customer comments to accumulate.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:55:02 PM »
I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IEGS9W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

While the first one was enroute, they emailed saying the magnet was too strong and would put the tablet to sleep when folded back.  Just like yours.  So they sent a replacement and it mistakenly had NO magnet.  On the third try they got it right and it works great.  I would email the seller and tell them to send you a replacement or get your money back.

Offline bpsomerset

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:42 AM »
I had the same problem, but took the advice of someone on Amazon.  I cut a bubble wrap envelope to size and tucked it behind the tablet in the case.  Problem solved.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman