March 28, 2024, 10:13:10 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 and pairing with samsung galaxy phone  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Bhanu

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 and pairing with samsung galaxy phone
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Could some one tell me if the Nexus 7 can pair with Samsung Galaxy II that has ICS? my Nexus 7 can pair with an iOS but not with an Android phone.
Also, if it can pair with the phone can I use tethering and use my S11 as a mobile hotspot?
Thanks

Offline EFIN

• View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 and pairing with samsung galaxy phone
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
Could some one tell me if the Nexus 7 can pair with Samsung Galaxy II that has ICS? my Nexus 7 can pair with an iOS but not with an Android phone.
Also, if it can pair with the phone can I use tethering and use my S11 as a mobile hotspot?
Thanks

Pairs great with my Gnex. Wifi tether works well on the rooted ICS Gnex, but not on the Gnex with JB.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:11:32 PM by EFIN »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 and pairing with samsung galaxy phone
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:49:54 AM »
I have an unlocked gnex and I use portable wifi hot spot. Remember these features cost extra and you have to be signed up for them to work unless your unlocked.

Offline whysoserious_058

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »
On a g2 open up settings, then under wireless and network hit more..., then hit tethering, and then check Bluetooth tethering.  If you've already paired your devices you are good to go, if not just pair the devices like any other Bluetooth and they should connect and off you go..... this post was made on my n7 Bluetooth tethered from my epic 4g touch (aka galaxy s2) running ICS

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »
I have an unlocked gnex and I use portable wifi hot spot. Remember these features cost extra and you have to be signed up for them to work unless your unlocked.

Well, that's not 100% correct.  Some carriers don't charge extra to be a hotspot nor does your phone necessarily have to be unlocked.

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
UK N7 user here so my experience may differ from you US and Canadian users.

I have rooted and am running an ICS AOKP custom ROM on my S2 (GT-I9100), I can't get an internet connect in to work via Bluetooth. They're paired but that's where it ends, no internet signal being passed from the S2 to my N7 but I can connect via Portable Wi-Fi hotspot and that how I'm connected writing this reply.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »

Well, that's not 100% correct.  Some carriers don't charge extra to be a hotspot nor does your phone necessarily have to be unlocked.

radio

Well my apologies. Any carrier in the US will charge around 30 bucks a month for tethering. If you don't want to pay this fee for the data you already own you can buy an unlocked phone or you can root your phone and activate this feature (which requires you to unlock it as well). If you tether to a computer your phone company will catch on because your computer requests desktop sites and your phone or tablet does not. While you can still request desktop sites your device still has a mobile signature so the phone company cannot tell the difference.

Does that clear things up?

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
You guys really do have it hard, that is such a con being charged twice for data just for tethering!!!

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
You guys really do have it hard, that is such a con being charged twice for data just for tethering!!!

Its terrible. I don't know any phone provider that doesn't charge in the states. I've always heard that the networks are better in Europe and its more competitive, and everyone uses gsm in Europe as well.

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
Yeah I think your right, obviously I have no experience of US providers/carriers, it's just what I've read on other android forums.
We use 3G here for data, 4G (LTE) is being tested at the moment so you do have some advantages but your right it is much more competitive here which is obviously beneficial to us the consumers.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »
You can check out Ting, I believe they don't charge extra.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
Just to throw something into the mix, I know people who are using tethering apps on Verizon without root. It has been noted in a separate post that by agreement concerning the C spectrum they cannot block tethering. Read the full article m.blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewireless/20776/verizon-tethering
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Just to throw something into the mix, I know people who are using tethering apps on Verizon without root. It has been noted in a separate post that by agreement concerning the C spectrum they cannot block tethering. Read the full article m.blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewireless/20776/verizon-tethering

The article confuses me. Is it saying you can now tether for free on Verizon now? Or is it just pointing out the fact that Verizon screws its customers like always?

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
These word games are quite common with Big Red.  I've been with them for more than ten years, and they have never ceased to amaze me with just how sneaky they get with some of their tactics.  The unfortunate part is their service is that superior to all competitors, so we stay.  That, and their devices are typically better, although throttled.  That's easily fixed when rooted.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts