April 16, 2024, 12:41:15 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Facebook katana is a battery hog  (Read 4615 times)

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Facebook katana is a battery hog
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
A couple of mornings ago, I woke up to find I only had 6 percent battery life remaining (down from 66% when I went to bed). I went to settings to check battery usage.

Normally, screen usage counts for 98 percent of my battery use. That  morning, facebook was using 40 percent of my battery power. I force closed facebook, but it continued to use 40 percent of my battery power.

The Facebook power drain was so intense, my nexus 7 was losing its battery power even while plugged in.  Finally, I discovered an underlying sub program called katana which was using my resources. Katana polls location resources (GPS) constantly, and turned out to be the resource hog.

Once I closed facebook and katana,, and shut off location resources, facebook had still toggled something in the Android OS that was consuming 30 percent of my battery power. I uninstalled and reinstalled facebook and played around with different location resource settings until i got the android OS usage back to normal, and now the problem is solved,

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook katana is a battery hog
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
I've actually noticed the same thing, though not as drastic of a battery drain as you.  I rarely use Facebook but last week installed it on my N7.  Within hours I started seeing posts from family showing-up in my Notification window and as you I noticed the battery app showing FB being a hog.  So I disabled Notifications all together which helped some, but it still drained.  After two days I just removed the FB app all together and all has been fine going sometimes two or three days between charges.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook katana is a battery hog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Personally, I keep GPS shut off on all of my devices, until I actually need to use it.  Many apps use location data so they can send advertising to your machine.  I don't have many Facebook friends, but I don't want most of them to know where I am.  Sometimes I get a little paranoid.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman