April 19, 2024, 08:59:23 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Should i Buy one?  (Read 5253 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Should i Buy one?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
Hey Team;

My confession...

Personally I really love my Nexus 7. Had it 2 weeks and I am over the hump of learning Android, so I am smiling. I am a long time iPad user, I think iPad is great, but at one point having something different and less restrictive is a breath of fresh air. I feel like an animal roaming free, not a battery chicken being told when to 'pay out'.

Common points / My opinion;
- 16GB max no SD card? Them's the breaks. It's a cheap device and someone decided to implement that limit. Well documented why. I find it strangely fun trying to optimize and not put too much music and movies on the little fella. Like the old Palm days.
- No back camera? Personally I don’t need it, so don’t care. If it was as good as an iPad3 I would not use it anyway, they are rubbish.
- 7"? I am in love. iPad size is great but always felt too big to me. + the little Nexus is so light, he comes everywhere, everytime.
- Build quality? I love it. The rubber back thingy beats an iPad to hold. For the price I think the quality and spec are great.
- Accessories? Seems some quality ones are coming through, good to see I am really looking for a quality landscape dock that uses this 4 pin connector
- Android not as polished as iPad? Yes. If you ain’t that smart, I recommend the iPad (just offened 4 Billion people!). If you prefer to play, Nexus/Android is wonderful.
- Screen rotation? Ultimate Rotation is very good and actually very configurable. Nice. I can tell it to stay in portrait for the Kindle app so I can read easy laying down. Sweet.
- Widgets? I love Android widgets! They make me smile  ;D
- Sound quality from speakers? Hmmmm… lets not go there. Can hear enough to watch a movie if there is no large background noise.
- Battery life? Not sure yet to be honest. BUT.. the power control widget is great to have on the desktop to ‘teak as you go’

My Apps so far;
- ES File Explorer
- DropBox
- BBC News
- Wikipedia
- aTorrent
- Google Finance
- Speedtest

Summary: The fella is a whole lot of fun.

Ciao

Great post benjanos!  Thanks for coming on board... 

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Nice review benjanos, have to say I disagree with one aspect though and that's that A**lpe's IOS is more polished that Android.
Personally I detest the IOS look, I think Android is much more attractive but Android is also much more customizable and if you don't like it you can change it. Simples.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Should i Buy one?
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Nice review benjanos, have to say I disagree with one aspect though and that's that A**lpe's IOS is more polished that Android.
Personally I detest the IOS look, I think Android is much more attractive but Android is also much more customizable and if you don't like it you can change it. Simples.

How is it more polished? It doesn't come close.

JayJ

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
I'm not startng a flame war here, I simply don't like the look of iOS...

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
I'm saying that iOS doesn't have widgets or a nice notification area and now with the project butter in 4.1 android is just as smooth. IOS is too basic to meet my needs and I really don't think it offers anything that android can't do.

JayJ

Re: Re: Should i Buy one?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
I'm saying that iOS doesn't have widgets or a nice notification area and now with the project butter in 4.1 android is just as smooth. IOS is too basic to meet my needs and I really don't think it offers anything that android can't do.

Sorry, as you quoted me I thought your comment was directed at me.
I couldn't agree more with you, Android is very polished IMO and I have no interest in iOS because I think Android bests it hands down...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman