March 28, 2024, 03:23:43 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Where are my files?  (Read 12738 times)

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Where are my files?
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:20 AM »
Hi all,

New to Android and new to Nexus, so please be gentle.

I like my Nexus (except the screen seems loose) and am pretty good with tech, though have usually worked with Windows or Ubuntu.

I have a Nexus now and have downloaded some books using the Kindle App.  I also have a film pre-installed (Transformers).  However, when I use an App like ES File Explorer I see a load of folders and they don't seeem to have these files.  The kindle folder is empty, though I know I have downloaded the book as I can read it all offline.

I also search for files and can't ever find them.  Like those named and files for sounds you can select in the Settings menu.  The only options are for me to search SD for Local.  Interestingly if I set to LAN I can brwose all of my files on my NAS, stream movies etc.

Is there a simple guide to the way the file structrure and naming works?  I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to file management!  I at least want to understand it.

Thanks for your patience.

JayJ

Re: Where are my files?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
Firstly what file manager are using on your Nexus 7?

I can tell that allot of app data will be under Android on the internal memory, this is the file path for the Transformers movie...

sdcard/Android/data/Google.android.com.video

Unfortunately the movie can only be played via the Play Movie & TV application.

The notification and alerts you can choose from are part of the system and unless you root your N7 you won't be able to see them, you can add your own by placing them in the notification folder.

Also your internal memory will contain hidden files, these are hidden as usually they aren't of any use as such to the user being application data and caches etc. Most decent file explorers will have an option to reveal hidden folders though.

The rest is commonsense really, quite allot of applications use the Android folder so that could be were your Kindle books are but I don't know that for sure.

Hope that goes some way to help.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:44:18 AM by JayJ »

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »
Thanks - to answer the question - I am using an app called ES File Explorer which I downloaded free from the Googla app store.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
I've not used it personally but check the settings, you may be able to show hidden folders.
I did use Astro File Manager but now use Solid Explorer, try a few out see which you like best.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
In ES File Explore, select Settings and then File Settings.  In the Show Options section, select Show Hidden Files. 
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
thanks all!

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
Wow, this is a great forum.  I would have thought you have to root the device to see the hidden files.

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
They're only the hidden files on the internal memory (virtual sdcard), to see the system files you do need root.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman