March 29, 2024, 09:56:00 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Rooting Question...  (Read 1561 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Rooting Question...
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
Will rooting allow you to remove programs that came pre-installed that you don't want/use??

Thanks,
r

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

Re: Rooting Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »
Yes radio rooting will allow you to remove unwanted system apps, either use a root file explorer like Root Explorer and navigate to the system/app folder and delete the apk. You can also change the .apk part of the app to .bak, this way if you change your mind later you can just change the .bak back to .apk. Alternatively you can use an app like Titanium Backup, this has many handy root functions as well as uninstalling system apps.

Be warned though, uninstalling the wrong applications can result in a bricked device. I have uninstall the Oriental keyboards because I know they are not going to harm the system, just be mindful young one...lol

*Just for people's information, since ICS Google has incorporated the ability to freeze or disable most system apps. This means the app will remain in the system but is dormant, the app will not appear in the app tray and will not use any system resources.

Menu> Settings> Apps>

Select the system app you don't want and select disable at the top right, some apps may have updates in which case you need to uninstall those updates first before disabling the application.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:39:39 AM by JayJ »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
One additional caution on removing installed apps. If a future OTA update requires the apps presence on the device the update may fail. I would agree that freezing the app is the better option.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
Great! Thanks for the info guys.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman