April 19, 2024, 09:32:51 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Anyone Tethered to an Android Phone?  (Read 14327 times)

Offline noor811

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Tethered to an Android Phone?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
I use SVTP Wifi Hotspot from the android market, no root required, I tether from my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (AT&T) without any problems, works like a charm, only catch is that the free version works for 2 days, the full version costs $15, which is well worth it for me, specially when I have unlimited data plan...  ;D

Offline kbeefy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
I just got my N7 and really want this to work, the main reason I got it was for navi.

I have a rooted Droid 4 phone on Verizon, when I try to enable the bluetooth via FoxFi it says 'fail to open Bluetooth'. I click 'OK' to clear the dialog box and it appears that Foxfi is hanging at 'Starting Bluetooth'. I tap the box next to it and it says 'Bluetooth DUN on'.

I start PDA Net Tablet on the N7 and when prompted click 'DROID4' and it says 'fail to connect, make sure foxfi Bluetooth mode is enabeled on the phone side. Install foxfi if you haven't allready.'

If I don't use Foxfi or PDAnet, I can get my phone and N7 to pair, but the N& won't tether.
Any tips?

Offline browndog49

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
I have a rooted Motorola Triumph phone and I'd like to use it as a hotspot for my N7.  I wonder if anyone is using an Android phone for the wifi on their N7.

radio

I have a rooted htc evo 4g phone  I use Open garden wifi teather and linked to my non rooted nexus7 to it with no problems.

browndog

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
I use Foxfi on a cheap Samsung Prevail. The phone cost me $69 at Radio Shack. I have Boost mobile. The speeds usually hover kinda slow at 500kbs or so but today I was at 1200 and was able to watch my Slingbox.
You probably know this already but you have the ability to save a map of your area in Google maps for offline Navigation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:55:06 PM by bjs229 »

Offline kbeefy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
I've given up on the Bluetooth, for tethering anyways. I'll just foxfi/wifi it. Planning on bringing a portable HD with hi-res topos of the areas I'll be in for loading to the N7 when I'm in the bush.

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
I WiFi hot spotted my galaxy nexus all day today, and watched a couple of movies on the N7.  It worked very well, aside from draining the phone battery.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
I cannot get a good connection with vpn Bluetooth. Wifi works for me but it is intermittent on Foxfi which is annoying.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:23:39 PM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anyone Tethered to an Android Phone?
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
I WiFi hot spotted my galaxy nexus all day today, and watched a couple of movies on the N7.  It worked very well, aside from draining the phone battery.
Do you pay for tethering thru your carrier or do you use an app setup? How do you connect?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:47 AM »
I rooted and rommed out my phone today. It tethers amazing now. I didn't lose the connection once on a mile walk. Killer.

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
I haven't paid for a tether yet.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline pduffer

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
I, too, use the WiFi hotspot app that came with my Samsung Galaxy Showcase phone.  I have unlimited data.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
Boost only charges 10 a month extra for hot spot. The problem is there is a cap on data and the least expensive phone that works in accordance of the TOS are all over 200 bucks. I used to be a phone guy but after discovering Tablets and wireless tether I could use two cans and some string if it got the Nexus online. I got rid of my I phone and Ipad and bought this Nexus and a 70 dollar Samsung Prevail. BOOM!

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Boost only charges 10 a month extra for hot spot. The problem is there is a cap on data and the least expensive phone that works in accordance of the TOS are all over 200 bucks. I used to be a phone guy but after discovering Tablets and wireless tether I could use two cans and some string if it got the Nexus online. I got rid of my I phone and Ipad and bought this Nexus and a 70 dollar Samsung Prevail. BOOM!

Excellent job bjs!

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline 94lt1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
I use foxfi to tether my n7... it works like a charm.

If you get a slow connection, clear the cache for foxfi, force stop, reboot, try again..

I use a razr maxx..

Offline jacksoncmc835

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
I have a rooted atrix with barnacle WiFi tether which works on my computer but not my n7 , any thoughts?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman