March 28, 2024, 12:03:16 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 + PS3 Controller = 'Awesome' Gaming Device  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 + PS3 Controller = 'Awesome' Gaming Device
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »

It's Friday so of course we bring to you some of the latest gaming action for the Nexus 7 and we thought this video above would be a great intro to how you can use a PS3 or compatible controller with your tablet to really soup up your gaming experience.  As 'MarcTheGeek' shows in this great video on YouTube you don't need to root your device to use the controller with your tablet.   All it takes is an OTG cable and you're good to go giving you full control on many games out of the box.   In Marc's words...it's 'Awesome'. 

Marc shows himself playing Asphalt 7, Dead Trigger and the OnLive Gaming service with most functions working through the PS3 controller.   On some games it appears you might have to navigate the actual menus to get the game up and running with the usual tapping as well as configure the game for the controller.   But once the game gets going the controller takes over.  Pretty cool we say...and again...this doesn't require root or the use of the 'stickmount' app.  It's simply plug...and play (pun intended!).   So who here has tried their PS3 controller with their Nexus 7?  What other games have you used it on?  (Bonus...how many times does Marc say 'Look at That' and 'Awesome' in this video?) We're kidding...we love ya Marc!  Let us know in the comments!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:47:47 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 + PS3 Controller = 'Awesome' Gaming Device
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
Thanks!  That's Awesome Marc!

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Tbone60

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
I'm going to try this this evening  :)

Offline strider_mt2k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
Very cool!
I'm going to have to dig my Logitech USB controller out from the drawer now to see if it works.

I'm happy to say that both of my Tegra 3 devices are fantastic at gaming.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Toshiba Excite 10
Google Nexus 7

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
But one thing I'm wondering is, why don't people just play the game on their PC if they want to use a controller?  Bigger screen, better speakers, no battery to worry about...  Isn't the portability a big part of the tablet equation? 

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Who says you can't take the controller with you?  It looks pretty portable to me.  Let's say you go on a vacation or anywhere away from the house for instance?   The two aren't mutually exclusive.   Also some games are just better to play with physical controls rather than the touchscreen.   Many experienced gamers are incredibly agile with the real controllers and can attain scores and levels of performance they just can't with touchscreen controls...which will do in a pinch but don't provide the kind of precision as a dedicated controller.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

Re: Re: Nexus 7 + PS3 Controller = 'Awesome' Gaming Device
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
But one thing I'm wondering is, why don't people just play the game on their PC if they want to use a controller?  Bigger screen, better speakers, no battery to worry about...  Isn't the portability a big part of the tablet equation? 

r

Because a Nexus 7 and a Sixias controller are a little more mobile than a PC or home Console...

;)

Offline strider_mt2k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
My trusty (dusty) Logitech Dual Action controller seems to work great!

I just knocked out a pretty good session of Dead Trigger after setting up the controls via the in-game menu.

GOOD STUFF FOLKS!
Motorola Droid Bionic
Toshiba Excite 10
Google Nexus 7

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee