April 16, 2024, 11:16:37 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 8gb sufficent enough?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Nexus 2.0

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
8gb sufficent enough?
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »
Hey there im looking to purchase the nexus 7 soon but im not really sure if 8gb is enough? I have an iphone with 16gb and thats already reached the brink of capacity b/c i use it for everything! Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Likewise what would be the benefits of purchasing the nexus? I already have an iphone, laptop and xbox...do i really need the nexus? Ps. It would be my first tablet

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: 8gb sufficent enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
I planned on using a tablet more for videos and larger game apps.  About 50/50 wifi vs non-wifi use.  So the 16gb was a must have for me. 

But it really depends on 1) what you plan to do with it and 2) where you plan to do those things.  It seems like everything you want to know would be best answered by.... yourself :)

Offline six3sin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
I'll say that its awesome for having next to you when playing Xbox, writing or answering emails, looking up cheats and such! Great for surfing the web when in bed and mobile games are great on it. Its not a bad 1st  tablet, the 16 GB is my suggestion.

Offline sgarrand

• Proud Nexus 7 owner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »
It all depends how you will use it. If, like one of the replies, you plan to use it off WiFi a lot, you need more storage. If you're on WiFi you can stream music/movies to it. I use Plex media server on my iMac to stream to the Plex Android app. There are other ways. This question is very difficult to answer for each person. 8 GB is enough for me, but not enough for Frank (above this post). Only you truly know if it's enough for you. You didn't say how you were using it.

As far as where the Nexus 7 fits in amongst an iPhone, Laptop and Xbox; it definitely does fit.

1. You can play games without any setup or controllers. Not as advanced but definitely entertaining and a good way to pass time.
2. You can view web pages much larger than the tiny 3.5 inch iPhone screen without taking the laptop out. I hate taking my laptop out for something quick. That's just me.
3. You can use it as an Ereader (free ebooks from your library in the free Overdrive app).

These are a few main points but the idea is that it can fill a need between the 3.5 inch screen and whatever size your laptop is. It's also about convenience and portability.

Scott

Offline figimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
For the extra $50 you future proof yourself.

As far as needing the Nexus 7 I faced the same decision and I am glad I purchased. I have a desktop, laptop, I pad , Toshiba Thrive tablet, Atrix4G phone and now the Nexus. I feel the Nexus is the best size and weight to hold in one hand and I find it serves 95% of my needs very conveniently. As more aps are developed specifically for the 7 it will be even more productive.

It's faster than my IPad and physically easier to handle.

Offline ecd1211

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »
I would say that it depends on how you'll be using it. I'm using mine in the car, for GPS, music, and other travel-related needs. I bought the 16 Gb model so that I could put at least 8 Gb of music onboard.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
Well, I have the 8GB and as yet I haven't had any problems bumping my head.  Seems plenty enough, sufficent (sic)...

r
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:38:06 AM by radiocycle »
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
I have a 16GB N7 and have filled it, a few pictures, some music (no Google Music in UK) and a few games like NOVA 3, Max Payne etc and that's my 16GB done...

Payday Friday and I'll be ordering a 64GB Kingston Wi-Drive!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:28:42 PM by JayJ »

Offline YoshiDrei81601

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:09 AM »
Hey there im looking to purchase the nexus 7 soon but im not really sure if 8gb is enough? I have an iphone with 16gb and thats already reached the brink of capacity b/c i use it for everything! Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Likewise what would be the benefits of purchasing the nexus? I already have an iphone, laptop and xbox...do i really need the nexus? Ps. It would be my first tablet
Hi there dude i think that you will have to buy the 16gb model because based on your comments you will use it for games and such things so maybe this is better for you but i am using a 8gb model and it is enough for my because i only use it for gaming and browsing the net. Regarding the reason why to buy this tablet , maybe for you it will be useful for gaming and such things and you will also get android updates faster but watch out for some defects because mine has some defects but all in all its still your money so you should decide : )
Current Gadgets: Nexus 7, Nexus 4
Past Gadgets: Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xperia Arc S

Offline bob7794

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
If you've been around long enough you have probably learned that at some point, enough memory will become not enough.  I can remember the company I worked for getting a 1 gig server and thinking that was over kill.  The cloud is great but if you are going to really use it, it's going to cost you from now on, until something better replaces it.  Since the Nexus 7 can only connect through wifi there will always be occasions when we will want to access some of our data without being connected. 

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman