March 28, 2024, 03:40:01 PM

collapse

Author Topic: How to remove rubbish files?  (Read 5310 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
How to remove rubbish files?
« on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
I've been working with the nexus 7 for about two weeks. I'm new to android and still in the process of learning. Back when I first got my N7 I had found an option to remove rubbish files. I selected the option and the Tablet responded that there were no such files at that time. Now that I have installed and uninstalled several apps I would like to run this option again. Only problem is I cannot remember where I found the option. Can someone please direct me?  :)

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove rubbish files?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »
To delete the app "short cut", long press on icon and drag to "remove" on top of screen.

To remove entire app, go to settings, apps, press on app name and then uninstall.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
To delete the app "short cut", long press on icon and drag to "remove" on top of screen.

To remove entire app, go to settings, apps, press on app name and then uninstall.

I know how to delete app shortcuts and apps. My question is how do I clean out rubbish files and folders. I found a simple option allowing me to do that and I cannot remember how to access this option.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:40:24 PM by norcal618 »

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
Oops, sorry, misread question.  Go to settings, storage, press on category and delete file there.  I use Astro app to manage and delete files on my N 7.  Hope that helps!
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
It's more complicated than that.  Uninstalling from the app menu often leaves directories and files, often at lower (nearer root) levels invisible to the unrooted user.

See the following screen captures.  One shows the lower level junk left by a slot machine program, all below the visible level of the unrooted user.  The other two show what was left after uninstalling an astronomy program (sky safari).  The ./sdcard path is visible to the unrooted user.  The other path isn't.  Both contained three additional directories with additional contents.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:40:10 AM »
Norcal, are you rooted?  I uninstalled the apps, used root manager, searched (from root) for "slot" and "safari," selected what I didn't want, and deleted the rubbish.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:42:43 AM »
It's more complicated than that.  Uninstalling from the app menu often leaves directories and files, often at lower (nearer root) levels invisible to the unrooted user.

See the following screen captures.  One shows the lower level junk left by a slot machine program, all below the visible level of the unrooted user.  The other two show what was left after uninstalling an astronomy program (sky safari).  The ./sdcard path is visible to the unrooted user.  The other path isn't.  Both contained three additional directories with additional contents.
Does this mean that as an unrooted user I am forever stuck with all of these junk folders when uninstalling apps? I know for a fact that while I was browsing through settings I came to an option in my n7 for deleting rubbish files. Now I can't find it. I did have go ex launcher installed for a short time so it's possible that the setting was within that launcher.

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 01:46:48 AM »
Norcal, are you rooted?  I uninstalled the apps, used root manager, searched (from root) for "slot" and "safari," selected what I didn't want, and deleted the rubbish.
I'm not rooted but plan to be in the near future. This is my first experience with android,  having been a long time iOS user. I kinda wanna get the feel of this os before rooting.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:28:35 AM »
Norcal, you can definitely delete files with Go Launcher Ex.  I bet it was when you had that app that you were able to delete easily as it changes the UI on the N7.

Bird, it is kind of scary what can be left behind on any tablet/phone/computer.  I know Astro app (and other similar aps) will delete a file, but I do wonder with unrooted tabs.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:12:23 AM »
Guys, wouldn't the ability to delete a file depend on on the file properties, for example r = read only and r/w = read and write. I use Root Explorer (root required) and can change a read only folder to read/write to allow modification or deletion, which also serves as a safeguard against accidentally deleting system files. So does Astro allow deletion of read only folders and files without changing the properties for the rooted user, which is way scary, or do you have the ability to change those permissions?
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
I like 'Titanium Backup' for getting rid of unwanted apps.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
So does Astro allow deletion of read only folders and files without changing the properties for the rooted user, which is way scary, or do you have the ability to change those permissions?

Jim, maybe Root Explorer would work better on a rooted tablet?  I don't know about Astro with rooting.

Anyways, I know little about rooting, so bowing out of thread.   :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:21:28 AM by Drew »

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
I don't understand why it is that when I remove an app why don't all of the files/folders associated with it get removed too. I have a jailbroken iOS device with ifile and when removing apps on it all files /folders go too. I plan on rooting my n7 today or tomorrow. Hope you guys can give some pointers on keeping my tablet free of garbage once i do.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman