March 29, 2024, 03:54:39 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Ashone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Hi all ! I am very new to computing and have never used or owned  a tablet or a cell phone of any sort.I am interested in learning all I can tho !
Soo..I am am sure I WILL be asking a LOT of total newbie questions ! Thanks in advance!
I have read some of the forum posts and I see "rooting" mentioned. What IS "rooting" and what does it do?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Hi Ashone!  Welcome to the Nexus 7 Forum! 

As a quick answer to your question, rooting means giving 'super user' access to a device.   So in other words many manufacturers 'lock' their devices software to prevent users from adding things like drivers or other capabilities and by 'rooting' a device it unlocks it so that the user can basically add anything to the device's software such as change it to a new operating system or alter the current one to add more functionality to it.  I hope that helps.

If you have any other questions please start a thread in the appropriate discussion board such as 'help' or 'general discussion' since this is the 'New Member Introduction' thread.   Thanks!

BFM
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman