April 20, 2024, 12:45:54 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How to import kml to "My Places"  (Read 1818 times)

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
How to import kml to "My Places"
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
A few days ago I saw a screen that would have allowed me to import a kml file up to 3Mb into "My Places" in the Maps app of the N7.  I don't know whether that screen was on my N7 or on my computer.  Now that I have created my kml file, I can't find any way to import it into the N7 "My Places".  Any suggestions?

Offline chaikenj

• View Profile
Re: How to import kml to "My Places". Wow, it works!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
Answering my own question.  I went to maps.google.com on my Windows computer.  When creating a map, it allows you to import a kml or kmz file up to 3Mb (this option is not available on the Nexus7 app). Then, after I saved the map that included my imported kml file on my Windows computer, I opened the Map app on N7 and could see the map with all my waypoints under "My Places".  Fantastic!

Offline curlyboy

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to import kml to "My Places"
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
Do I have to sync N7 to do this? Can I sync only Google earth as I don't want to sync my other accounts due the security problems. ie banking
curlyboy

Offline chaikenj

• View Profile
Re: How to import kml to "My Places"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Do I have to sync N7 to do this? Can I sync only Google earth as I don't want to sync my other accounts due the security problems. ie banking
curlyboy

I didn't think to try Google Earth, since I was trying to save a map that I can use when not connected to WiFi --  I don't think Earth will do that.  Using the Google Map app, I assume you have to be logged in to the same Google account on your N7 and on the web,  but you can open a secondary Google account that is not related to any sites with secure information, add that account to your N7, and then remove it from the N7 when you are finished.  Another idea you could pursue is making your map public and then finding it somehow on your N7 -- too advanced for me, though.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman