March 28, 2024, 04:07:44 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Screen won't come on or auto sleeps  (Read 5413 times)

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Screen won't come on or auto sleeps
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
I had this issue before and it went away. It is back, screen won't come on. If I hold the button for 10+ seconds I see Google sign then blank. Though sometimes can hear noises
Like it is on. I was using a widget at the time which looked like
It had screen brightness button and I pressed that. Help I need the sat nav to get home from France!!!!!!!!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Screen won't come on or auto sleeps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
Hold down the power button until your Nexus 7 reboots, it should take 45 to 60 seconds and your tablet should perform a reset.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »
Hold down the power button until your Nexus 7 reboots, it should take 45 to 60 seconds and your tablet should perform a reset.
Thanks. Tried that, it shows google logo after 15 seconds, then blank and nothing after that.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »
Can you boot it into the bootloader?

Volume up + volume down + Power, should boot into the bootloader , use the volume key to select restart, off or recovery.
If you can get it into recovery you can perform a "Factory data reset", this will wipe the whole of you N7 including internal user memory but at least it might fix the problem.

Failing that either return to Google or flash a factory image with WugFresh's Root Toolkit, it's pretty easy to do and if you want help I'm happy to talk you through it.

Good luck!

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
Can you boot it into the bootloader?

Volume up + volume down + Power, should boot into the bootloader , use the volume key to select restart, off or recovery.
If you can get it into recovery you can perform a "Factory data reset", this will wipe the whole of you N7 including internal user memory but at least it might fix the problem.

Failing that either return to Google or flash a factory image with WugFresh's Root Toolkit, it's pretty easy to do and if you want help I'm happy to talk you through it.

Good luck!
Many thanks for the advice but boot loader does not seem to work either screen comes up when i start that mode, but when I click recovery mode nothing happens.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:36:49 PM by silvercue »

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
I think you are point of contacting Google support and requesting an RMA. Keep us updated.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
I agree but what's Googles turn around and are they still putting on hold on credit cards for the cost of a replacement until the faulty unit is returned?

Flashing a factory image is relatively easy with a little knowledge, I'm happy to do a "how to" Prime?

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
I agree but what's Googles turn around and are they still putting on hold on credit cards for the cost of a replacement until the faulty unit is returned?

Flashing a factory image is relatively easy with a little knowledge, I'm happy to do a "how to" Prime?

Oh yeah!  Let's see that 'how to'!  Might come in very handy.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
@ JayJ

It would be interesting to see if an image recovery using the Nexus Tool Kit would correct the problem and at this point it is worthy of a try. Also, I have been wanting to do a guide to full recovery, so as you have first hand knowledge of recovery, I will be happy to post a sticky for your guide as we did for your flash installation guide.

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:04 AM »
Thanks for the help, the store I got from will swap (I live in the UK, so they have no choice), but they are out of stock!  :o

Offline Lancaster

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
I've just experienced this problem on my day old Nexus which is why I went looking for a forum such as this and hence my first post.

I really thought that I had somehow bricked the device after playing around with a widget that allowed the turning off of things like wifi, BT, and a button that seemed to allow cycling through various brightness states (full, auto, etc)

When I touched that brightness button one last time the whole display went black.

The power button seemed to have no effect. Even holding it down long enough to get the Google logo didn't work. A large X in a box would appear for several seconds and then back to blackness.

I was just about to try some of the solutions in these posts when I suddenly saw the very faintest of images on the screen. After a lot of playing around in dark and light rooms I could see that my home page was indeed there. That brightness button appeared to have had a "turn off all backlight/brightness" setting.

It took a long time but by randomly tapping in the area of the screen where I knew the widget was I was able to hit the brightness button and I was back in business. I've now got rid of the widget.

There is probably a quicker way to restore the brightness but my knowledge of Android and Nexus extends back only one day.

I just wonder how many people might have returned their Nexus as dead after accidentally finding the same "feature"

Cheers

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Lancaster, thank you pointing that out to people .

Is it a stock widget or one added from Google Play?

Offline Lancaster

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »

I believe that it is a stock widget. It is called "Power control", a 4x1 widget.

It has toggles from left to right for Wifi, BT, Location, Rotation, and the Brightness button in question.

Rick Grant
Calgary

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »
Yes I though so, thanks and hopefully it'll help some users out that get caught by this.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman