March 29, 2024, 09:30:53 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Transfering to a new user  (Read 1556 times)

Offline henpock

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Transfering to a new user
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Hi. We bought the Nexus 7 for our son. at the time he didn't have his own gmail acct, so we used mine to sign up. He has downloaded some apps and books under my name with the $25 credit. I would like to get him his own account for g mail & g play etc. Is there any way to do this without reformating the tablet. Then what about the books & apps linked to my account. I'd appreciate any advice as I'm kind of a geezer (over 50) so this stuff doesn't come natural to me.

JayJ

Re: Transfering to a new user
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »
You can add a second account as well as the primary but you cannot remove the primary without a factory data reset, this will wipe the whole device including internal user memory (sdcard). If you remove the primary account you will loose all apps, books etc from the primary account.

Long story short, it would have been allot better to start your sons N7 with a new account for him...

Offline henpock

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »
Thanks, JayJ,
I was afraid of that. Might have to give myself a present and keep the original one. I notice your Nexus is "rooted". Is that the same as a factory data reset? How hard is that to do?

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »
No problem, your welcome!

Root is a term from the Linux would, it gives similar rights as administrator in Windows.
Basically gives you the user access to system files which means you can run root only apps (Stickmount, Sixaxis, Titanium Backup). Also you can edit system files, uninstall system apps and do nandroid back ups with CWM or TWRP recovery. A nandroid back is a copy of the the whole system including your apps and configuration, with custom recoveries like CWM & TWRP you can also flash custom kernels and custom ROM's.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:24:50 AM by JayJ »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt