March 28, 2024, 08:22:39 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Two N7's - how to setup accounts?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline markmcg

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Two N7's - how to setup accounts?
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
Hi,
I know there is a thread on MUAs, but this is not what I need...I have contacted Google 'help' :-\, but not very helpful.  Anyway, I now have 2 N7s, 1 for me, the other will be for my daughter (she is special needs).  Both N7s are assigned to my original gmail account.  I have also set up another gmail account, thinking I can easily transfer 1 N7 to this - it appears I cannot do this (according to google help).  My daughter will use it for the games(can't find a Mario equivalent - any pointers???), movies & music that I download for her.  Mine is used for all the normal things that it was bought for  :)

So, before I reset a N7, could anyone advise on the best way to achieve this & how will I retain the previously purchased apps?

Many thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:24:11 AM by markmcg »

JayJ

Re: Two N7's - how to setup accounts?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
Simply, you can't if you remove the primary account from the device you intend on giving your daughter. Any apps that you have installed on this N7 will be removed with a factory data reset, this is the only way to remove a primary account but will wipe the whole device including anything saved on the internal user memory (SD card).
The only way you could is to leave the primary account and add a second account, this will give you the option to download apps from both accounts and apps purchased on the primary will remain on the device.

Hope that helps.

Offline markmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Thx for reply, but I am 'tablet illiterate!!' - sorry.
If I factory reset...can I re-assign to another account? - I will lose apps this way I assume.

If I were to install 2 gmail accounts on daughter's N7, my original gmail still needs to be there (or can I delete it?).  Will apps still update?

The reason is so that any original emails sent to the gmail account I obviously do not want to be picked up on her N7 but on my new one.

Very confusing..apols

Mark

JayJ

Re: Re: Two N7's - how to setup accounts?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
Thx for reply, but I am 'tablet illiterate!!' - sorry.
If I factory reset...can I re-assign to another account? - I will lose apps this way I assume.

If I were to install 2 gmail accounts on daughter's N7, my original gmail still needs to be there (or can I delete it?).  Will apps still update?

The reason is so that any original emails sent to the gmail account I obviously do not want to be picked up on her N7 but on my new one.

Very confusing..apols

Mark

No worries...

Yes you can assign another Google account and yes a factory data reset will wipe the tab totally and will mean all apps will have been removed, the apps you downloaded onto the tab on your account that is.

Honestly I can't say what would happen if you set the N7 up with an account for you daughter, then add your account and then delete your account. I've never had more than one account on a device, I'm using the account I started when I got my first Android phone in 2010 and that account is used on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Nexus 7.

Maybe somebody with more than one account can be more helpful here...

Offline johnnyvol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
If I understand what you are asking, I think I can answer.

You can have multiple accounts on an android device and purchases from any of the accounts can be downloaded on the device.  So, if you want your device to be associated with say "dad at g mail" and your daughters to be "daughter at g mail", yet one or both devices to also be able to load apps purchased from the other account, that can be done, as long as both accounts are associated with the device that wants to load from both accounts.

As far as the emails being seen/ read, you can sync hers to read only her email.  But, its pretty easy for her to change it to also read yours, and vice versa.

Is this what you're asking, or did i miss the boat completely?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Yes you can assign multiple Google accounts and you can specify your Google account in Google Play, but remember they will have access to your Gmail and contacts/calendar.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline markmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »
Thx for all the advice...It seems that what I am after will work...sort of...My daughter will only be using the N7 for games (kids type, Sonic, bubble shoot, fruit ninja, etc - anyone coma across a 'mario type' racing?), playing music & watching cartoons - essentially an entertainment system  :)

Anyway, I am going to take the plunge and try this, worst case, I 'lose' all the apps I paid for with the free £15 ($25) - which is fine, if I get the N7 to operate the way I need.  If not, I can always set back to my original account - I assume.

(neither of the N7s are rooted, & not likely to be in the short term - beyond me anyway!!!!)

It is hard to explain exactly what I am after, but I know what I want  :) , if anyone comes up with ideas, I will check back & also update when I have done this...thx all

Mark

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts