March 28, 2024, 05:21:18 PM

collapse

Author Topic: How to delete 1GB CWM backup files?  (Read 6309 times)

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
How to delete 1GB CWM backup files?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »
I presume they're system files, since Windows 7's limited viewing abilities don't show the files or folders as hidden or read-only.  I have copied 3GB of these folders (my 3 Nandroid backups, averaging 1GB apiece) to my USB drive and Windows laptop, and want to free up the 3GB they're taking on my N7.  How do I change the directory/file attributes to delete the files?

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: How to delete 1GB CWM backup files?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »
Root Explorer, although a paid app, will allow you to change any folder to R/W and delete any content.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
There's some kind of bug in recovery that stops them being deleted, I changed my recovery to CWM from ROM Manager because of this.

Try this in my Dropbox, it will wipe the whole of your CWM back up folder.

http://db.tt/zyccW5uK

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
Thanks, but what do I do with it, Jay?  Do I have to compile the binary file in the com subfolder and run it?  Using what?  Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I see, I have to flash the zip file.  Should have researched this before asking.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:46:16 PM by birdastrompgman »
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
Success!  I went from 1.9GB free space to 4.77GB by moving those backup directories to my USB drive.
Rooted Nexus 7

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:51 AM »
So you managed to move them, I didn't think about that....:-\

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:49:43 AM »
Yes, there is yet another quirk that forces me to copy files and delete them (using both root explorer and ES File Explorer), rather than simply move them.

I'd copied the directories, when I came across this CWM bug while trying to delete the backup directories.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline commodore128

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
just found this thread and probably like anyone else who as backed up his nexus7 found that the backup files in clockworkmod folder would not delete. using the info above managed to remove them and gain more space. i would have thought that by now the problem associated with the backups would have been resolved. if not lets hope it is in the pipeline.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »
I have a question regarding this thread. Each one of my back ups is over 2gb in the TWRP folder on the Nexus. I made a folder on my pc and copied my latest backup and got rid of the older ones on the Nexus. Do I need the one on the Nexus now that I have one on my computer? The reason I ask is if I have a problem with the tablet and I have to use the backup file how do I access and install it ? I am thinking I have to go into Reboot Recovery and then what exactly? I really could use the free space on the tablet and if I dont have to have the huge file just taking up space I am going to launch it. As far as  the file on the PC would I use the WUGSToolkit to install it in case of emergency? What is an instance that you would have to use the backup and what is the process of getting back to exactly where I am at this moment. Rooted. Up to date and all my widgets and apps in their place.
I am confused as to what exactly to do if I need to. IS that a backup of just the ROM and system apps and then I would need to download Titanium and do a batch install?
I am wired and confused now. the TWRP backup file wuth the date and time is known as a NANDROID correct?

JayJ

Re: Re: How to delete 1GB CWM backup files?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:21 AM »
I would recommend keeping one on your N7, there maybe a time you need to restore a backup and it makes life easier to have one ready. I'd also advise you to compress your backups, the option is there on the backup screen in TWRP. My backups are typically less than a gig in size.

To restore, simply reboot into TWRP recovery and select Restore. Use the slider to initiate the restore and reboot. Your Nexus 7 will be exactly as it was when you backed up your Nexus 7, remember to do regular back ups.

The back up is the whole device, accounts, system apps system settings, and user apps, everything. Even your wallpaper, and no need to use Titanium to restore your user apps. Titanium is useful if you flash custom ROM's or if you have to flash the factory image, then you can restore your lost applications. Or if you have to do a factory data reset.

Yes the TWRP backup file is known as a nandroid.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
Thanks JJ. That clears a lot up for me. No pun intended!

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
I use CWM, and store backups on my flash drive, N7, and laptop.  That's a good thing, as I've had checksum errors on two of my three backups before.  CWM lets you find or push backups from other sources/directories.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How to delete 1GB CWM backup files?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
I use CWM, and store backups on my flash drive, N7, and laptop.  That's a good thing, as I've had checksum errors on two of my three backups before.  CWM lets you find or push backups from other sources/directories.
Why do checksum errors occur and how do you insure yourself from them happening. To me that is an unacceptable  average when it comes to backing up my data.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
When CWM creates a Nandroid backup, it checks its integrity with a checksum. But when you copy the backup file, there is no confirmation of the checksum.  File transfers may or may not use checksums. You transfer two gigabytes of data, and if one byte out of two billion gets clipped by a cosmic ray, or glitched by static, your data are compromised.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline commodore128

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
since i bought my nexus7 things have certainly changed in the 3 months i have had it. originally could not delete a cwm backup but with the new release that i have just found of wugs toolkit that is no longer a problem. although at the moment i am getting a script error with wug's new release hoping a fresh install will sort it out. pity there is no linux equivalent(i could be wrong). 4.2 is not proving to be as good as 4.1.2 in my humble opinion. still a bloody good tablet all in all  ;D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman