March 28, 2024, 02:47:20 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Overclocking and voltage?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Overclocking and voltage?
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
I recently flashed a new trinity kernel on my nex7. After doing so I purchased trinity tool box from the play store and now have the ability to make several tweaks to my CPU. The only problem is that I have very little knowledge on CPU overclocking. OK first off what is an I/O scheduler? The options to choose from in this setting are noop, which it is set to by default, deadline and cfq. I have no idea and found nothing online. I have the CPU set at 51 mghz minimum and 1600 mghz max. The setting will go as high as 1700 mghz and off course I did turn it up all the way to see how it would operate and I could almost immediately feel the CPU heating up. So now I leave it at 1600. The CPU governor I have set to on demand. The voltage going to the CPU is also adjustable. It is adjusted it different steps of CPU output. In other words there are several voltage adjustments that can be made. I played with them a little and just put the back to default. Then there are a few toggle settings. WiFi pm better for streaming or battery. Force non boot cpu(s) online or offline. Lastly there's fsync faster or safer. I have no idea what any of these are. I've played with some if these and have also had adverse effects such as browser crashing and the native setting app not responding. If anyone could give me some knowledge on any of this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Overclocking and voltage?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »
These seem like questions for the place where you downloaded Trinity.  I'd be very hesitant about playing around with kernel settings related to overclocking.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Overclocking and voltage?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
I'm with Frank, as I've never overclocked a CPU in 33 years of computing.  It's like revving your engine above redline.  You can do it, and it's been done to nearly every CPU out there, but reliability and longevity may suffer.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Overclocking and voltage?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
I'm with Frank, as I've never overclocked a CPU in 33 years of computing.  It's like revving your engine above redline.  You can do it, and it's been done to nearly every CPU out there, but reliability and longevity may suffer.
I'm with both you guys on that now also. Instead if trying to figure all of it out I just did away with it. I went ahead and flashed a modaco ROM along with faux kernel. The kernel is capable of being over clocked also but I'm just leaving it default. I rather enjoy this ROM and kernel over paranoid android. Its very close to the stock os with just a few small extras. Its very smooth. "Buttery"!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman