2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Root, Hacks, Mods And Development

Guide to Auto-Rotation for the Nexus 7 Home Screen and App Tray

<< < (2/4) > >>

S.Prime:

--- Quote from: birdastrompgman on August 19, 2012, 06:12:22 PM ---Thanks, SP! ;D

I paid for the rotate app, but I removed it in favor of the elegant one line build.prop edit.  I'm going to remove the ROM Toolbox, too, as I think I can edit the file in Windows Notebook.

--- End quote ---

I paid for the Rotate App, as well, but as it has been pointed out, it does create issues with other apps, so I prefer editing the build.prop file. Also, as bird pointed out there are other methods to modify the file, if you are a more advanced user, but I selected the safest and easiest modification option that I could find to use as the forum guide.

birdastrompgman:

--- Quote from: radiocycle on August 19, 2012, 06:25:30 PM ---Hey bird, if you remove the URC app will that change any of the app specific settings that may have been set up using URC?  And I guess the build.prop edit will be a 'global' setting which all apps will be constrained to, huh?  Some apps I have would work well in one orientation but not in the other...

radio

--- End quote ---

Radio, IDK.  I never set any app specific settings, so you'll have to let us know.  I suspect it depends on whether URC creates its own database, or modifies the apps' data files.

SP, ROM Toolbox crashed nearly every time I used it, and it wanted to charge for downloading its list of ad-blocking websites and each of half a dozen other databases.   It's gone.

JayJ:

--- Quote from: radiocycle on August 19, 2012, 06:25:30 PM ---Hey bird, if you remove the URC app will that change any of the app specific settings that may have been set up using URC?  And I guess the build.prop edit will be a 'global' setting which all apps will be constrained to, huh?  Some apps I have would work well in one orientation but not in the other...

radio

--- End quote ---

I've not used URC but clear the data in Apps before uninstalling, will also clear any caches too.
Editing the build.prop will only change the behaviour of the the stock launcher (homescreen application).

bjs229:
WOW! You have me writing code now! Amazing. Worked like a charm. I coudn't stand that auto rotation app. Just the icon is annoying looking. I knew that there had to be a way to work around the home screen without having to buy that app. The one thing I did like about the app was that it allowed me to lock apps that use the camera. Tango and Vignette are always showing video or pictures at the wrong angle.
Thanks Prime!

bjs229:
When I downloaded rom toolbox fro. I Primes link it is showing up as the pro version? It took me to the lite for d/l but now that it is installed it says pro? Do I still need to upgrade? The play store for pro still shows 4.99

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version