March 29, 2024, 07:54:59 AM

collapse

Author Topic: USB Support  (Read 2353 times)

Offline fred kaz

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
USB Support
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
Hi All,

Pround owner of a brand new Nexus 7, I was going to buy a Galaxy Tab 7" as this has a memory card slot that can up the storage by another 32 Gig using memory card.  I watch a lot of downlaoded Avi Files.

I choose the Nexus as it was faster, I knew that its maximum memory was 16 Gig but I bought an 32 Gig memory stick thinking that I could attach it to the nexus with a OTG cable like I can with my galaxy note running I.C.S. 

Much to my dissapointment I found that when My Nexus 7 arrived was able to attach quite a number of thin gs to the Nexus, except for a USB memory stick.

Does anyone know why Google removed this feature in Jelly Bean, and has anyone heard if they are going to make it possible in any future updates of Jelly Bean??

I have read that I could root my tablet and use a program called Stickmount.  After reading that rooting would invalidate my warranty.  I have also read all the possible posts on this subject and feel that I am not confident enough to do a root.

Cheers,

Fred :(

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: USB Support
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Hi Fred,

As far as I know, Google is promoting the Cloud for data storage.  That, and cost decisions leave us N7 owners without external USB storage.  Sorry, but that's how it is unless you're willing to root your N7.

I followed the step-by-step rooting instructions here, and didn't find it too daunting, but I can certainly understand your reluctance to try it on your own purchase.  It takes a certain level of computer knowledge and confidence to walk the rooting path.  If it helps you, we're a community here willing to help you.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline fred kaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »
Hi Fred,

As far as I know, Google is promoting the Cloud for data storage.  That, and cost decisions leave us N7 owners without external USB storage.  Sorry, but that's how it is unless you're willing to root your N7.

I followed the step-by-step rooting instructions here, and didn't find it too daunting, but I can certainly understand your reluctance to try it on your own purchase.  It takes a certain level of computer knowledge and confidence to walk the rooting path.  If it helps you, we're a community here willing to help you.

Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I was thinking of cloud data storage, but do not understand how this works seeing that the Nexus has not got any phone 3G?

As for the rooting you are right I am not very confident in rooting my new nexus.  Also if I do root the device will I still get updates from Google??

Cheers,

Fred :)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
Possibly, since I wrote the "Guide to Rooting", I could be considered the advocate of root, but let me advise you to take the time to learn your device and read our step by step guide and then decide if you want to root your Nexus 7. I felt the same when I rooted my first generation HTC Incredible, but I have never looked back, after seeing the advantages of root. With that said the decision to root remains with the individual and a small percentage of actual Android users take advantage of rooting.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fred kaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
Possibly, since I wrote the "Guide to Rooting", I could be considered the advocate of root, but let me advise you to take the time to learn your device and read our step by step guide and then decide if you want to root your Nexus 7. I felt the same when I rooted my first generation HTC Incredible, but I have never looked back, after seeing the advantages of root. With that said the decision to root remains with the individual and a small percentage of actual Android users take advantage of rooting.

Hi,

Having read some of the post on rooting I took the leap of rooting my Nexus following the step by step guide here on the forum.

I followed all the steps and I now my nexus is rooted (I Know that it is as, I mounted a memory stick and watched a few avi files)

I was under the impression that when I rooted all the operating system would be removed and I would have to find a new rom.  After the root all I lost was my apps (Which I now have reinstalled) All the google stuff still works.

Do I have to install a new rom/operating system??

Cheers,

Fred

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Fred,  Congratulations on rooting your N7.  I was going to point out that XDA Developers has a link to a one step root toolkit for the N7 now.

No, you don't need to flash custom ROMs or anything like that, unless you want to.  You've simply added much more functionality.  No one will know you have a rooted N7 until you do something that requires superuser permission.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »

This is great advice.  So many people root just to say that they have rooted.  I've rooted all of my android phones because that is the only way to get rid of the carriers bloatware that uses up your resources.  I still haven't decided whether I'm going to root my N7.  At first I was planning to, but now I'm not so sure.  The N7 is a great machine straight from the factory.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman