April 19, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Not Clear On How Storage Works...  (Read 2575 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Not Clear On How Storage Works...
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
I have an 8 gig nex 7. Currently my tablet has 0 downloaded apps. The only things it has on the storage is what ever comes with the custom rom I have flashed. When I first got the the tab a couple weeks ago I didnt plug into a computer and never really paid much attention to the available storage. Im plugged into my pc now and im showing 3.61 gb free of 5.91 gb. Does this mean that an 8 gig only actually has room for 3.6 gigs of apps, pics, notes etc? Or is it because i am rooted and running a custom rom? Sorry if this is a dumb question but i am completely new to android. I assumed the 8 gig would have 5.9 gigs of user storage. If i were to unroot and re lock and go back to stock, would this be the case? 

JayJ

Re: Not Clear On How Storage Works...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
Not sure exactly what an 8GB Nexus 7 should give you but that def doesn't sound right, have you checked the device settings?

Press Menu, either from the App tray or pull down notifications and press the three sliders. Scroll and select storage.

Failing that download and install a file explorer from Google Play, there are plenty like Astro, ES or Solid Explorer and check the internal storage manually.
It could be that when you flashed the custom ROM the flash went wrong and changed the partitions?

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
Not sure exactly what an 8GB Nexus 7 should give you but that def doesn't sound right, have you checked the device settings?

Press Menu, either from the App tray or pull down notifications and press the three sliders. Scroll and select storage.

Failing that download and install a file explorer from Google Play, there are plenty like Astro, ES or Solid Explorer and check the internal storage manually.
It could be that when you flashed the custom ROM the flash went wrong and changed the partitions?
I think I found the problem. On my SD in the clockworkmod folder there is a sub folder called blobs. It has over a hundred small files that I think are the culprits. I attempted deleting them both via USB/computer and via ROM manager. My computer will not delete them and neither will the file program on the tablet. I'm trying to just relock and unroot and start over now. 

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:16 AM »
I just downloaded astro file manager. It is showing me that the blob folder within clockwork mod has 1.41 GB of data within it. I cannot delete this from astro, root file manager, or my computer.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
I'm not sure what these files are, have rooted two other devices before my N7 and not seen these blob files before?
I do know there is a bug in CWM recovery that prevents the deletion of nandroid back ups, that I'm aware of they can only be deleted through CWM recovery or via a flashable zip so I'm not sure how that pans out for blob files...

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
I'm not sure what these files are, have rooted two other devices before my N7 and not seen these blob files before?
I do know there is a bug in CWM recovery that prevents the deletion of nandroid back ups, that I'm aware of they can only be deleted through CWM recovery or via a flashable zip so I'm not sure how that pans out for blob files...
I did some research and the blob files are a bug in cwm that has to do with backups. I finally got rid of all the junk. The only problem was after cleaning everything off my SD I was no longer able to take or store any pictures. When I opened the camera or the gallery I got an error saying no internal memory. So hours later I finally have teamwork win recovery flashed in place of cwm, have my ROM and kernel flashed through it, camera working and gained back almost 2 GB of storage space. Yay!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman