March 29, 2024, 03:06:24 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Credit card access  (Read 5460 times)

Offline henpock

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Credit card access
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
OK, so i'm really a naive geezer. I thought when i allowed my 12 yr old son to use the google play credits that came with the nexus 7 that my credit card info was protected. So he downloaded a "free" game -- deer hunter reloaded from Glu. from there he accessed the online site and was able to purchase game credits for $19.99. I get a notice via g mail of the purchase, which was made not through google play but directly from my visa. The only thing I have ever used this visa for at google is to buy the tablet in the first place. How do i protect myself from this kind of accidental use of my card info? My son was unaware of purchasing anything (yes, I believe him).

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Credit card access
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »
I don't think there is a way, short of credit card fraud.  Google Play requires you to have an active credit card on file.  If you try to change your card to one with an invalid number, it won't pass muster. Best bet is use a CC that will expire soon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:00:09 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Well I'm assuming he purchased the game through the Google Play store?  You could remove the Google Play app so that your son doesn't go to the app store and buy anything in the future.  That'll help...but since  I don't know of a way to 'lock' someone out of using whatever card is registered with the Google Play site... you just have to be careful who you lend/give your tablet to and make sure they know not to buy anything with your account.  This is actually one of the reasons there's been talk of multi-user ability being included in Jelly Bean in a future release.   This way you could have a 'guest' account where things like credit cards on file couldn't be accessed as well as certain files or apps you want to keep private.   This feature doesn't exist yet though on the Nexus 7.   

There might however be a third party app somewhere that acts as kind of a 'child guard'.   Similar to what they have on PCs that only let's someone use specified apps.   Anyone know of such an app for Android?
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline pduffer

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I've been there too.  My grandson made $81.00 worth of in app purchases one day.  Thankfully the game developer was willing to issue a refund.  Go into settings from within Google Play.  There you can set a pin number and require it to be entered for any purchases.   There is a similar setting in Amazon Appstore if you use it.

Offline tsruggles

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
Just a tip. Write a little email to which ever entity that accepted the payment. Inform them that your minor child/grandchild actually made the purchases and that you would kindly like a refund. You should get one. If not, advise them that it is illegal for a company to engage a minor in a legally binding contract. Any company with any intelligence will refund the charges before you file a report. You hold the upper hand in this one.

Offline tiap

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
First, I'm not at all happy with having google have any credit card info, they already have too much personal info and a cc in this cloud thing doesn't really appeal to me.

In setting up the Nexus for my daughter,  that I bought thru google, I used her google id and skipped the cc google play stuff, so there is no CC associated with her Nexus.

In order to download any apps from google, I connected to my pc via cable, logged onto google with my ID and installed the app to the Nexus. Still no CC in the Nexus.

She won't be able to download, unless it's a different free site. She can come to me for any apps.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
With Google Play's credit you still have the option to pay with your credit card. Some users report that it defaults to the Google credit, yet mine defaulted to my credit card and I had to select the Google credit pay option.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:57:46 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
I'm read online that with any paid app purchase you have 15 minutes in which you can get a full refund. I don't know if this applies to in app purchases.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Seems like it would be simple enough for Google to have an option setting to require a password for purchases. That's what Barnes & Noble does on their Nook. If you set that preference, the Nook requires a password for any B&N Store purchase.

Perhaps Google isn't so smart.

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
You can set a password, open Google Play and press the three dots at the top and select "Settings".
Now select "Set or change pin" and you'll be promoted to enter a PIN, then you'll be promoted to re-type to confirm.
Then tick " Use PIN for purchases" and your set, a factory data reset will wipe these settings.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:49:42 AM by JayJ »

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
You can set a password, open Google Play and press the three dots at the top and select "Settings".
Now select "Set or change pin" and you'll be promoted to enter a PIN, then you'll be promoted to re-type to confirm.
Then tick " Use PIN for purchases" and your set, a factory data reset will wipe these settings.
Awesome. Hopefully the OP will be back to see that.  :)

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
You can download Wallet guard for .99, or Device Guard for free.  Both provide lock access for your apps.  Wallet Guard seems less comprehensive, but more in tune with purchases.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts