March 28, 2024, 02:45:09 AM

collapse

Author Topic: TWRP- Can't access back ups from my PC.  (Read 4987 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
TWRP- Can't access back ups from my PC.
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
I recently switched over to team win recovery from cwm. I do like the ui and functionality way better then cwm. The problem I'm having is that I cannot access my back up files from my PC via USB. When I use the file browser that is built into twrp I can see the back up files in the twrp folder. When I plug my tablet into my PC via USB and open the twrp folder it is empty. Also when I open the twrp folder in es file browser it is empty there too. I would like to store the back up on my PC rather then on my tablet. Am I missing something? I was having this same problem with titanium with backed up apps so I upgraded to the paid version and uploaded my back ups to Google drive. After that I looked in the titanium back up folder again on my PC and all the sudden the files were there when before they were not. Its very frustrating. Please help.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: TWRP- Can't access back ups from my PC.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
Without going into a lot of detail, you are seeing an incompatibility with MTP and the Windows file system, which is by design. MTP does recognize file changes on your MTP device until it is re-indexed. I am working through the issues to try and develop a knowledgeable guide for using file transfer with MTP, so bear with me. For the moment disconnecting your tablet from your PC and restarting your tablet will force re-indexing of the internal storage and show the missing files. Note you may have to re-start your pc as well. Any feedback, you can provide will help me with developing a guide.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Also as an temporary work around you could upload the TWRP files to Google Drive or another cloud based storage service.

EDIT- Another workaround is, if you have a USB Flash drive (thumb drive) use stick mount and save or transfer the files that way.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:41:19 PM by JayJ »

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
Re: Re: TWRP- Can't access back ups from my PC.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Without going into a lot of detail, you are seeing an incompatibility with MTP and the Windows file system, which is by design. MTP does recognize file changes on your MTP device until it is re-indexed. I am working through the issues to try and develop a knowledgeable guide for using file transfer with MTP, so bear with me. For the moment disconnecting your tablet from your PC and restarting your tablet will force re-indexing of the internal storage and show the missing files. Note you may have to re-start your pc as well. Any feedback, you can provide will help me with developing a guide.
I just gave it a try and it was still a no go. I unplugged my tablet, restarted, also restarted windows and still not able to view the files on windows or not on my own tablet in es file explorer. Actually tried it twice. Once with debugging active and another with out. I can understand windows not seeing the files but why not es explorer? The only place I can see them is in the file browser for twrp. Should I be choosing the option to compress the files in twrp when doing back ups?

Also as an temporary work around you could upload the TWRP files to Google Drive or another cloud based storage service.

EDIT- Another workaround is, if you have a USB Flash drive (thumb drive) use stick mount and save or transfer the files that way.
How do I upload from twrp? I do have a thumb drive but no otg adaptor. I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow. If I could transfer the files that way it would be lovely!

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »
When out get an OTG cable just connect the thumb drive and use the file explorer of your choice (ES, Solid Explorer) to copy the folder of the backup and paste onto the thumb drive. I'd create a folder on the thumb drive called TWRP Backups or something so you know, then just copy the whole TWRP folder.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »
The OP will first need to have es or another file explorer find the files before they can be copied to a usb drive by OTG, will they not? I have seen apps that force the re- indexing of internal memory to display files that do not show up, but I am answering from my phone so I will have to look that up later. JayJ have you seen anything on that?

Edit: BTW, my TWRP folder and the contents show up in Root Explorer on my Nexus 7 and on my computer when connected to the Nexus 7 by a usb cable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:10:47 AM by S.Prime »

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Problem solved. I was using an older version of twrp that didn't allow the correct permissions to view files on PC. I was able to upgrade to the latest version by downloading goo manager from Google play and upgrading from within the app. I had to delete the twrp folder from my SD and make a new back up via twrp. A new folder was created with the correct permissions allowing me to view and copy onto my PC.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
@ norcal618

Great feedback, I have been working on permissions in regard to access using MTP. Can you post the permissions for your new TWRP folder?

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
Grrrrr...

I'm getting a little annoyed with recovery on the N7...

Firstly the factory data reset that wipes even the internal memory, on both my current Android phone and my previous Android phone I used factory data reset to clear most of the device before flashing a custom ROM but I can't on the Nexus 7, talk about a PITA.
My usual routine before flashing a CWM zip on my S2...

1. Factory data reset
2. Wipe dalvik cache
3. Format System in mounts and storage
4. Flash zip....

I've now had my N7 stuck in a bootloop twice and had to flash the factory image both times to get my N7 working, did a full wipe or as best I can with the N7. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, wipe system and flash....

Tried Paranoid Android and AOKP build 1 but both times I got stuck in a bootloop and this brings me to my second Grrrr, bloody recovery! Or the inability to boot into recovery from off.
In nearly three years of using Android I have honestly lost count how many times I have flashed custom ROM's but I have probably only ever had bootloops....well I could count them on one hand.
If I did get a bootloop I would turn the device off, boot into recovery and fix the problem whether it be a dalvik cache and cache wipe or restoring a nandroid back up but I can't do this with the N7 hence why I have had to flash the factory image twice so far to revive my N7?

Originally I was using CWM that came with root from WugFresh's Toolkit but once I discovered the problem with deleting back ups I installed ROM Manager and installed CWM from that so I could delete back ups from in ROM manager or CWM, then after a discussion about the blob files in CWM I installed Goo Manager from GP which I though might fix theses issues but last night was the second time that I got stuck in a bootloop so restored a factory image this morning. Thankfully I placed my TWRP back ups onto my USB drive because of problems uploading them to my Gdrive.

Thanks for starting this thread, I had it in my head about putting my back ups onto my USB drive because of thus thread and if I hadn't I would have had to set up my N7 from scratch tonight.
I'm just not use to having to save back ups before flashing because as I've said a factory data reset doesn't wipe internal memory on my S2....

Thanks and sorry for the rant....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:12:29 PM by JayJ »

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
@ norcal618

Great feedback, I have been working on permissions in regard to access using MTP. Can you post the permissions for your new TWRP folder?
Here are the permissions for the twrp folder, running the most up to date version of twrp. rwxrwxr-x

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
I have been quite busy during the past month and might have missed it. If interested the newer version of TWRP is out 2.3.3.0 I just started playing with it. We will see how she performs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline greatwyrmm

• Popularity: 0
  • You can't triple stamp a double stamp!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:12:03 AM »
I recently switched over to team win recovery from cwm. I do like the ui and functionality way better then cwm. The problem I'm having is that I cannot access my back up files from my PC via USB. When I use the file browser that is built into twrp I can see the back up files in the twrp folder. When I plug my tablet into my PC via USB and open the twrp folder it is empty. Also when I open the twrp folder in es file browser it is empty there too. I would like to store the back up on my PC rather then on my tablet. Am I missing something? I was having this same problem with titanium with backed up apps so I upgraded to the paid version and uploaded my back ups to Google drive. After that I looked in the titanium back up folder again on my PC and all the sudden the files were there when before they were not. Its very frustrating. Please help.

Which SD card are you searching in. Remember, if you are running an Android 4.2.* rom you will have legacy memory and emulated.
Do not wait for the iron to become hot to strike.
Make the iron hot by striking!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
This was a known bug back in the day. I believe It has been fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts