March 28, 2024, 11:02:44 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Cannot access file (pdf) I dragged and dropped into the Downloads folder  (Read 5678 times)

Offline blahblahfish

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hi all new to the forum

Wondering if the more wise and experienced can help me out here.
So i've decided up hook my N7 to my lappy and drag a couple of PDF files over.

USB connects, NEXUS 7 shows up on my windows7, it opens, all the differen folders like music, pictures, downloads are there, great!

so copy and paste my pdf's into the 'downloads' folder, done
now when i go back to the tablet, went to settings, device, storage, downloads, it shows that i have 400mb's of stuff inside that folder (which is the sum of the pdf i dragged and dropped), but when i tabbed on it to open, there is are no files whats so ever to open.

strange thing is that MP3's drag and drop works, beautifully, and the mp3 seems to always magically appear in my music when accessed from the tablet.

stranger yet is when i use an opensource pdf viewer like APV PDF Viewer, it is nice enough to let me open up the folder locations and find the files to open.

now, APV PDF Viewer doesn't run the smoothest on N7.... and it seems strange how the simple drag and drop works but i can't access / find the files ....

any thoughts?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Download es file exporer free from Google Play Here or either Astro File Manager Here and you should be able to see the files and then move, copy, or delete them. You will also need a PDF viewer from Google Play. I use EZ PDF Reader, but I am sure there are some free ones.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

I use Adobes PDF viewer and like it allot but as Prime has said you'll need a file manager lime Astro, Solid Explorer or ES to locate the files to view them. I suggest you try some free ones out and see what you like best.

Offline blahblahfish

• View Profile
THANK YOU ALL !

Works like a charm !

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
@ blahblahfish

The true value of a forum is to share knowledge. You are asking for knowledge now, but quickly you will be sharing knowledge. Enjoy your Nexus 7 and share your knowledge and have fun.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

Couldn't agree more that statement Prime!!

Offline Glock34

• View Profile
I had the same trouble, and downloading the es file explorer app solved this problem, but my question is; why did I have to download a third party app to do something that I think most people will be doing with this thing anyway? It seems silly enough that it didn't come with the Adobe PDF reader pre-installed. Also, I transferred a JPG pic into the download folder, and couldn't see that without es file explorer either. What's up with that? What other common tasks will I have to download apps for?

Thanks for the tip, BTW.

JayJ

I had the same trouble, and downloading the es file explorer app solved this problem, but my question is; why did I have to download a third party app to do something that I think most people will be doing with this thing anyway? It seems silly enough that it didn't come with the Adobe PDF reader pre-installed. Also, I transferred a JPG pic into the download folder, and couldn't see that without es file explorer either. What's up with that? What other common tasks will I have to download apps for?

Thanks for the tip, BTW.

I understand having to download a third party app to view PDF files, no all users are going to want to view pdf's and I think your missing the whole point in Android.
As for JPG's, you can view them via the Gallery app. This scans the whole of the SD card and places all files with specific file extensions in the Gallery, this includes JPG's, PNG's amongst others.

Offline Glock34

• View Profile
 I tried using gallery and it didn't work until I first opened the pic with es file explorer.
 I don't mean to seem antagonistic, but what point am I missing?

Thanks for the reply.

JayJ

That is strange that you had to view the JPG in an explorer first, not had those problems my self.
As for missing the point, Android is customisable that's what apps are for. What you might want on your device isn't necessarily going to be something I would use as we all use our devices differently.
When you get a PC it doesn't come with Adobe Acrobat, you the user installs it because it's a programe/app that you want so I'm not surprised to not see a PDF viewer on any Android device unless bloatware from an OEM.

Offline Glock34

• View Profile
Ah, quite right, Adobe reader doesn't come on PC's either, good point.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman