March 28, 2024, 02:06:00 PM

collapse

Author Topic: UK Apps you'd like to see...  (Read 6231 times)

JayJ

UK Apps you'd like to see...
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
Hi to all the UK Nexus 7 users and welcome to the UK regional branch of the Nexus 7 Forums.

Thought we'd kick off this sub-forum with a little rant....lol

When I originally decided to get a Nexus 7, I decide I wasn't going to root the device because there were certain apps I wanted to use that I couldn't on my Samsung Galaxy S2 because of root access. I'm talking specifically about Sky Go, Barclays Pingit and Barclays Banking applications.
I honestly had a niggling feeling the Sky Go app wasn't going to work because it's only recently been ICS compatible so wasn't expecting it to work on JB but still I expected Sky to update it quite quickly, no surprises that they haven't though.
As per, it leaves us Android Sky users in the dark whereas iOS users have had a far superior version of Sky Go for some time. Personally I think it's a cop out but I've been on the Sky forums and seen the posts of discontent, maybe Sky will get the message and I know they are testing on JB but then the question is will the N7 even be compatible when JB testing is done?

Then there's the Barclays apps, whether it be the Phablet UI of the Nexus 7 or the JB OS they are incompatible with the Nexus 7.

"Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Another cop out IMO, I did think about emailing them but in all honesty I haven't had great success with contact of apps developed by big companies. I contacted PayPal once about a problem with it's app and the person that replied had no idea about the PayPal app, I might at some point try contacting Barclays about this but I won't be holding my breathe for a coherent reply.

Anyway, enough of the ranting. I want to know what UK specific apps you guys would like to see compatible with JB and the Nexus 7, have you rooted and would unroot if you could use certain apps
Maybe if we get enough of us together that want Sky Go or Barclays Banking app on the N7 we could all hit them together with emails and they might actually listen, could even organise a partition.

Thanks for reading the first thread on what I hope is a successful UK based sub-forum.

JayJ.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:09:08 PM by JayJ »

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: UK Apps you'd like to see...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
A UK sub-forum! That's a nice idea.

Flash and BBC iPlayer didn't work for me out of the box, but a quick backup of both apps on my S3 soon sorted that out.

Found a few other apps that were "not compatible" but installed on S3, backed up and transferred to Nexus 7 and installed without issue.

Didn't bother with Sky GO as already had it on S3 and don't use it that much.

As this is UK forum, it'd be nice to see how close fellow users live.

So to start it off, I live in both Kent.

Anyone else wanna offer their general location?

Offline paulo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
I'm from middlesbrough  :)

Offline Nemoman

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
I'm from Kent too

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm from Kent too

Cool, whereabouts ?? I'm in Medway.

Offline Gavnthegooner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »

Then there's the Barclays apps, whether it be the Phablet UI of the Nexus 7 or the JB OS they are incompatible with the Nexus 7.

"Your device isn't compatible with this version."

+1 for this!

My phone is rooted, so it won't let me run it - so I thought I'd run it on my shiny new Nexus, but ooooh noooo, Barclays knows better  >:(

God knows why they have a thing about rooting anyway, when they let you run it on Windows machines which are by definition rooted.

I did manage to get the apk across to the Nexus, and it installed and took my details - yay - but then says - you cannot proceed until you update to the latest version! - boo ???

Does anyone have a jellybean phone they can download it on, even if it's rooted and won't run - I used titanium backup to copy the apk, it may be that there is a different apk for Jellybean.

I'm also in Kent btw!, Swanscombe.

Gavin

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
I think it's because it's Jelly Bean not that it's a Nexus 7.

Nice to see another Man of Kent/Kentish Man  8)

Offline Gavnthegooner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
I actually managed to get the Barclays app working on my Nexus 7  :D :D :D

Not sure if they've updated the app or something, but I have another cheap tablet that I upgraded to Cyanogen Mod 10 (JB) - that let me download the app, but wouldn't run it because it was rooted. But I retrieved the apk using Titanium Backup, copied it across to the Nexus 7 and voila, worked perfectly and I can now see my balance, etc.

If anyone wants me to post the apk I can put it somewhere and post a link. I didn't change the apk in any way, and you have to use the Pin Sentry to register so it's still secure.

Regards

Gavin

Offline commodore128

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »
i am in berkshire ( a place a poet said should be bombed   ;D ) and rooted the 7. had no problems to date except getting rid of space hogging cwm backups. (search through the forum help sort that out). used the build.prop fix to give me full tablet which i like. tried the new update, did not like it at all. went back to the build.prop fix. annoying when some good apps are not compatible. found like others that if you can get hold of the apk then you have a better chance of the app working.

nice idea a uk sub forum.   

Offline Stransky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
Hi
New owner, Newtownabbey , Northern Ireland.
Have unlocked and rooted N7 but still on updated 4.1.2 stock ROM.

Stransky

Offline little duck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
Hi all you Kentishmen, I'm from Armagh, NI, and am particularly fond of Bishop's Finger, so thanks for Kent.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
Those of you on the other side of the pond will be getting Play Music! Check our the official blog 

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/nexus-best-of-google-now-in-three-sizes.html?m=1

JayJ

Re: Re: UK Apps you'd like to see...
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the link loociddreemr, nice to know we'll finally have what US Google users already have...and we'll get the new download option before you too...

Offline CBers

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: UK Apps you'd like to see...
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:50 AM »
Thanks for the link loociddreemr, nice to know we'll finally have what US Google users already have...and we'll get the new download option before you too...
Google Play Music is very good, as you would never fit 20,000 songs on your N7. I've had it for a while now ;-)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman