March 28, 2024, 02:45:09 PM

collapse

Author Topic: public wifi security  (Read 4898 times)

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
public wifi security
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
I am wondering what everyone does for security when using their N7 on a public wifi? Anything I can do in the way of settings, apps, etc. that will help protect my transactions/passwords?

Cheers,
-mh

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: public wifi security
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
Don't make any transactions over public wi-fi, and run an app like Droidsheep Guard.  It shut my wi-fi connection down when it detected a Droidsheep snooper on my local community college's wi-fi.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
Don't make any transactions over public wi-fi, and run an app like Droidsheep Guard.  It shut my wi-fi connection down when it detected a Droidsheep snooper on my local community college's wi-fi.

thanks, birdastrompgman, re: Droidsheep Guard.

OK, so no transactions, per se; but is reading & sending email or tweets the type of transactions to which you refer? Let's assume I'm already signed in to all my Google accts so I won't be entering an ID or pw.

Thanks again.
- mh

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
You're welcome, martyh.

I meant no financial transactions over public wi-fi.  Never type or send credit card information, SSN, bank account PINs, etc.  I don't risk much if I send my account password to this forum over unsecured wi-fi.  But I sure wouldn't make a Paypal payment online from my local coffee shop.  That can wait until I get home to my secure WPA2 wi-fi.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline monroe

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
There are settings for VPN(virtual private network) on the Nexus 7. One would need a VPN service- take a look at Witopia.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
VPN is a very specialized way to get into a secured site like your workplace from outside its firewall.  The OP asked about making transactions over public wi-fi, which is a couple of levels away from VPN.  There's far too much risk in sending SSNs, bank account numbers, Paypal passwords, and credit card numbers over a public wi-fi service to a variety of host computers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:20:35 AM by birdastrompgman »
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline monroe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
Following is a quote from Witopia:
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is technology using hardware, software, or both to secure and privatize data across a network, usually the Internet, by building what techies call an “encrypted tunnel.”

Data passes through this “tunnel,” protected from anyone who tries to intercept it. Even if the data is intercepted, it is hopelessly scrambled and useless to anyone without the key to decrypt it.

Large businesses commonly use VPNs between offices to secure company data, and often provide individual “remote access” VPN solutions to home-based or traveling employees to protect data between them and the company’s network.

You also use a VPN when you bank or shop online and see the https:// in your web browser. Unfortunately, the protection with an https:// session is temporary and limited to that specific website.

With WiTopia’s VPN service, you initiate the secure encrypted tunnel from your side, so it is not dependent on the websites you visit. Your security and privacy is now maintained whether you see an https:// or not. Still, even with the protection of the VPN service, you should use https:// where available for end-to-end security to a specific website.

It’s also important to note that the protection and privacy we offer is not limited to just browsing. Our VPN service encrypts and anonymizes all your Internet data to and from our VPN gateways. This includes Skype, IM, streaming, e-mail, as well as browsing.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
Witopia is like having a VPN in your pocket and it does provide an encrypted tunnel for internet traffic as a service, for which you will pay a monthly or annual charge. If you need anytime security or if you live in a censored country, you may find the service worth the charge. For me, I will, as Bird said, "Wait until I get home."
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline rainman4tech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
2 things for me about public Wi-Fi 1. Use https for any connection you can (gmail, Twitter and Facebook) it encrypts your connection from you to their server now that at least those servics have at least partially enabled it. 2. Use at the minimum WAP for Wi-Fi encryption of you can influence it, yes I know the local provider has to be the one to do it (hence the "if you can influence it“). Even if all use the same password for the connection each user will be using a different key and will not be decodable by the group. All traffic between you and the access point will be encoded and not in the clear.
Rainman

Offline DNP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
Witopia is like having a VPN in your pocket and it does provide an encrypted tunnel for internet traffic as a service, for which you will pay a monthly or annual charge. If you need anytime security or if you live in a censored country, you may find the service worth the charge. For me, I will, as Bird said, "Wait until I get home."

I have WiTopia, on my PC and my iPhone and so far im very hapy with it. Now I want to use it on my Nexus  7.

Does anyone now how to set it up on a Nexus 7?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »
I  have not used Witopia, but have you tried the support setup for Android at Witopia support at www.witopia.net/support/setting-up-and-using-your-vpn/android/
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
VPN or not, most of us grab up free apps like candy.  Those free apps could include key loggers and the like, especially if you are rooted.  Best just to avoid anything financial from mobile devices imho.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman