March 28, 2024, 09:50:45 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How to customize the startup screen  (Read 5001 times)

Offline anken32

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How to customize the startup screen
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
Hi, I finally got my brand new Nexus7 16GB and love it.  The start up screen has magazine & movie ads.
I don't plan to use my Nexus for watching movies or magazines. 
How can I get rid of the ads? Also, is there a way to delete the Messenger Icon? I have tried to move it up to the trash can but it doesn't work.
If anybody has any suggestions, I will appreciate it very much.
I'm so glad to have found this informative forum!  Thanks,Ann

JayJ

Re: How to customize the startup screen
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
To remove the Google Play widget, long press it and move it to the top of the home screen over the trash can. You want the widget to turn red, now release it and it's gone.
To ad other widgets, open the app tray by pressing the circle with the six dots in the dock at the bottom. Scroll right until you get to widgets or select he widget tab, select a widget and long press. The N7 will jump to your homescreen, find a space and release to place the widhet on your homescreen.

What messenger widgets are you referring too? Email, envelope with @? Gmail, envelope with red M? Speech bubble with "Talk" in it?

Which ever it is you need to do as above, hold it over the trash can until it's red. If it doesn't go red move it around over the trash can until it does go red.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:29:56 PM by JayJ »

Offline anken32

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »
Thank you for writing, JayJ.
I saw the trash can earlier but now it's gone....The top of the home screen shows the rotation icon and 2 others but the trash can is gone. I don't know how to get it back. When I find it again, can I just drag the downloadable magazines to the trash also?
I'm sorry about all of those questions but all of that is very new to me and I haven't found what I was looking for in the search feature.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:49 AM »
As JayJ said long press (press and hold the icon or widget) after a few seconds you will see the "X" appear at the top of the screen and you can drag the item to the "X" to delete it or you can long press and release and tap remove in the dialog box that pops up at the same time that the "X" appears.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Lustfuljayb

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »
I have an additional question along that same subject,I have 5 homescreen/pages,I want to know how to narrow this down to just 3,the other 2 are blank.Any help will be appreciated. :o

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Thank you for writing, JayJ.
I saw the trash can earlier but now it's gone....The top of the home screen shows the rotation icon and 2 others but the trash can is gone. I don't know how to get it back. When I find it again, can I just drag the downloadable magazines to the trash also?
I'm sorry about all of those questions but all of that is very new to me and I haven't found what I was looking for in the search feature.
Thanks again for your help.

Are you talking about the Notifications screen? This...

If this is what you mean then these are notifications, swipe them to the left or right to remove them or tap the notification to open the application, either the email or Gmail that the notification is for.

As JayJ said long press (press and hold the icon or widget) after a few seconds you will see the "X" appear at the top of the screen and you can drag the item to the "X" to delete it or you can long press and release and tap remove in the dialog box that pops up at the same time that the "X" appears.

Thanks Prime, still use to that damn trash can icon....

I have an additional question along that same subject,I have 5 homescreen/pages,I want to know how to narrow this down to just 3,the other 2 are blank.Any help will be appreciated. :o

Unfortunately the stock launcher doesn't allow the number of homescreens to be adjusted. You could install an alternitive launcher like Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher, I use Apex on my S2 which I prefer but nova works better on the Nexus 7 IMO. Hopefully Apex will release an update soon and it'll included JellyBean code.

Offline anken32

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
Thank you, JayJ. It worked!! I have gotten rid of the movies and magazines. 
The "Messenger" Icon I mentioned is now in the screen after touching the circle with the 6 dots. It is red and has a white folder in it.  The "Play Movies & TV"  is still there also.
They don't seem to respond to just pressing and holding...Is there any way to delete the icons from that screen? Can I move them into any other order?
Again, thank you for all of your help!! Ann

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts